making remote git storage work [was Re: Subsurface ans Dropbox]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Jun 1 09:44:32 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 01, 2015 at 03:58:52PM +0100, Long, Martin wrote:

> > Are there other characters that are legal?
>
> '+' is often used as a sub-address delimiter. GMail uses it to allow you to
> create 'disposable' addresses. Users may use it to create mutliple accounts
> for a single GMail account.

Yes, I thought about '+' - I was slightly worried if there were any
shenanigans one could do with it, but doing some googling seems to imply
that it's safe...

> > A quick search for patterns for
> > legal email addresses was a bit inconclusive, but it seems that most of
> > the "dangerous" characters are illegal in email addresses, anyway. It felt
> > safer to pick the safe characters than to try to remove the unsafe ones.
> > And since email addresses are already unique...
>
> Ok, I just typed the below response, and then figured that you meant that
> "_.-" where being left in, not stripped out. My bad. In that case it's
> probably fine, apart from perhaps the '+' case above.

Yep. I'll add '+' and will call it good for now :-)

Thanks for pushing me in the right direction here.

In related news, for those trying to test this... it only works when you
have a fairly recent master of libgit2 available and add the option
-DUSE_LIBGIT23_API to the cmake command line. I guess I should have
pointed that out earlier :-)

For that very reason the daily builds all don't work for cloud storage...
I'll get the Windows one fixed later today.