git backend: actually update local cache from remote

Robert C. Helling helling at atdotde.de
Thu Jun 11 06:33:50 PDT 2015

Hi Dirk,

> On 11 Jun 2015, at 15:23, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>
> The save in the background when quitting is dangerous. On a larger data
> set / slow connection this can take a while - I hate it when software does
> something like this and then "hangs" instead of closing.

I agree. But OTOH you are always the person to point out that the vast majority of our users are not hackers. My single data point: My dad can use dropbox, but he would not use git or anything like that where you need a mental image of a local and a remote repository and the various ways their state can be in relation to each other (and yes, my dad new already how to program a computer before I was born and he still does, occasionally).

Let me ask this: Is there a danger that when a push is hard killed in the middle it leaves any of the repositories in a state that need manual care? How much is it transaction based? If not I would not worry and possibly kill it (maybe with a warning „quitting now will abort the cloud sync currently in progress. you have 10seconds to cancel the abort“).

Best
Robert