[PULL REQUEST] GSoC Printing: part 2

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 02:03:12 PDT 2015

On 20 June 2015 at 06:19, Gehad Elrobey <gehadelrobey at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 9:05 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> So this is the second batch of patches for this GSoC task.
>>
>> Here Gehad has added another template which is the "one dive per page",
>> some
>> minor fixes and renames here and there and also support for printing on
>> any
>> page size (or "render target" size).
>>
>> Also good news is that I'm now actually able to use Grantlee properly
>> on Windows and the printouts are rendered. Also the NO_PRINTING option
>> actually
>> works this time.
>>
>> Gehad, a couple of things:
>>
>> - Again, I did some capitalization fixes and fixed small typos in the
>> commit messages. Nothing big.
>>
>> - Patch headings such as "Printing: " should then preferably be followed
>> with a lower case word e.g. "Printing: something in this patch" instead of
>> "Printing: Something in this patch"
>>

> I'll take care of this in my coming commit messages.

thanks

>> - It would be great if you can implement the Print->Preview dialog that we
>> had, since that was very useful not to generate a PDF to be able to view
>> how it *actually* renders.
>>

> I am planing to implement the preview dialog in the "TemplateEdit" class so
> I think this will be finished in the next two weeks.

the QPrintPreview dialog which is triggered from the main print dialog
is another thing...
this renders all (selected) dives on pages on a render target which is
show in the dialog, from which the user can modify the page layout and
actually print! this is an actual print preview and we need the button
to remain where it is ATM. go back to my previous implementation and
see how easy it was to do it. i may have missed why you removed the
QPrintPreview trigger from printdialog.cpp in the first place. :-)

having a preview in TemplateEdit is another thing, which should be a
QPixmap preview of said template for one, two or more dives just as an
image placed in said dialog, or as a larger preview window - QWebView
if you will.

>> - Supporting the "print selected dives" properly is easy to implement and
>> nice to have while testing.
>>

> I am going to work on this in the current week.

cool

>> - Not sure we have discussed a "Statistics print" for GSoC. Is this
>> something
>> which came from user requests - e.g. from IRC?
>>

> That was mentioned in the proposal, we can cancel this feature if you would
> suggest this.

will comment more on Dirk's comment for this, but consider it a
nice-to-have feature and should be moved towards the end of the
schedule.

>> - Can you update us with your TODO list or at least with the next few
>> steps out
>> of it?
>

> here is my list:
> - Fixing the dive profile rendering bugs (mentioned in a previous email).

it might be a good idea to get one of the templates soon to look
user-ready - e.g. the "two dives" one.

> - Implementing the flow layout template.

i remember this one; should be less of a priority for now.
my idea is the following, get *everything* core wise working and one
of the templates user-ready to showcase your work and only then, start
adding more templates and options.

> - Implement the remaining features in the "PrintOptions" class (Including
> "print selected dives" option).

please move this towards the top.

> - Implement the "TemplateEdit" Class (Including the print preview).

should be higher priority than adding more templates.
also, please add the QPrintPreviewDialog implementation on top of the
list, as it makes it *much* easier to test the whole project.

here is how i see it:
- QPrintPreviewDialog triggered from the main dialog
- "print selected dives" support
- TemplateEdit with print preview
- get one of the templates user-ready (two dives)
- more print options - e.g. table print
- more templates - e.g. 'flow"
- work on mailing list feedback from users
- statistics print

please, feel free to object with this list. :-)

lubomir