great progress on dive site handling

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Jun 27 17:01:24 PDT 2015

On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 04:27:04PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Jun 27, 2015 4:13 PM, "Dirk Hohndel" <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> >
> > Yes. You basically switched to an existing dive site. If you had done it
> > the way ${DEITY} intended (i.e., FIRST set the dive site and THEN imported
> > the GPS data), everything would have worked.
>
> Dirk, I don't think you've actually used it, because that is just crap.
>
> The thing is, it absolutely *has* to work with downloading the GPS
> coordinates first, because that's often what you use for getting the site
> name
>
> I did this last week, and Miika is right, and you are wrong. GPS first,
> then naming the dive site. The location you see on the map is what often
> reminds you what the site *was*.
>
> The current location management is broken. It was absolutely the worst part
> of the Subsurface experience for me last week. It needs to be improved, and
> $DEITY needs to be fixed.

Last week. Linus.

If you don't read the emails that stop giving your cranky old man
impersonation.

This has been rewritten since last week. The code base last week was
completely broken and did not allow changing the dive site on a dive.
I have said that repeatedly and I have warned you about this before you
went to Hawaii.

What Miika describes is wrong. If you have a dive site on your dive and
you switch to a different dive site we will not copy the GPS location from
the previous dive site to the one that you are switching to.  That's
completely whacko and clearly neither you nor he thought about the
semantics of this.

So stop complaining, try the current code base and then come back with
specific feedback. There still is a lot wrong with the current code.
You cannot set the GPS coordinates with the globe (well, you kinda can but
it's a competely laughable user experience).
But you can pick an existing dive site, you can enter a new dive site name
(and by doing so create a new dive site), you can download the GPS fix
from the Subsurface web service and it does the right thing.
I'm sure there are corner cases that I haven't caught, but it is pretty
much ahead of where we were in 4.4.

And before you tell me that I haven't "actually used it" please YOU use
the code that we are talking about first yourself. I have spent several
hours testing what we have, removing GPS fixes from my data files,
re-syncing with the Subsurface webservice, editing, modifying, deleting
dive sites, etc.