great progress on dive site handling

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sat Jun 27 18:39:10 PDT 2015

On Sat, Jun 27, 2015 at 6:32 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> Why would you do such a thing. You download your dives from your dive
> computer. You enter the names of the dive sites. Then you download the GPS
> data. What is the semantic of loading GPS data for sites that don't have
> names?

You never bothered to read the emails you answered to and yelled at me
for not testing, did you?

Let me quote the relevant part again.

  "The thing is, it absolutely *has* to work with downloading the GPS
coordinates first, because that's often what you use for getting the
site name"

because while I often do try to remember to take a picture of the dive
site board on the boat, you should know just how good I am at it.
You've been on dive trips with me before.

And you should also know how good I am at remembering dive sites?

So what I do - especially in Maui where I've been to most sites before
- is to download the GPS data first, because without the GPS data I
have absolutely _no_ idea where it was that I was diving that day (or
particularly, the day before, when I ended up going out to dinner with
the family after diving, and then was too tired to download all the
dives afterwards).

Then I look at the map, and go "Ahh, now I remember - Reef's End at Molokini".

Yes yes, other people may be better at remembering where the heck they
were diving than I am. But at least for me, that "let's get the GPS
data first" really is absolutely *the* way to get dive site
information.

             Linus