Customizable Print Formats GSoC 2015

David Tillotson david at acmelabs.co.uk
Fri Mar 6 06:49:06 PST 2015

On 6 March 2015 14:37:45 GMT+00:00, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>No, we will not include TeX or assume that is installed. I see the
>technical benefit, it's completely unrealistic as print backend for a
>dive log app
>
>/D
>
>Sent from my phone
>
>> On Mar 4, 2015, at 3:39 AM, Robert Helling <helling at atdotde.de>
>wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> On 03.03.2015, at 13:05, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>>>
>>> i think, before you start writing the proposal users should provide
>>> feedback on what level of customization they want from the print
>>> layouting.
>>> Davide, Robert - any ideas?
>>
>> I think my old comments still apply: Typesetting is a highly
>non-trivial task (in particular if your expectations are more than
>basic), even decent line breaks are not easy to get let alone more
>complex formatting tasks. I think it would be foolish to attempt to set
>it up from scratch. Even without templates/user definable layout we
>currently fail miserable in this task. To my mind, we need to rely on
>external tools (library or program) to produce decent output on a
>printer. Setting things up by putting text in some rectangles will not
>do. For similar reasons, I don’t think html is the way to go since it
>is designed to render on screens rather than sheets of paper. You only
>need to look at the current gymnastics we do not to run over the bottom
>of the sheet. To me, doing proper typesetting is the hard part, making
>this configurable (for example with templates) is then secondary.
>>
>> One way to go would be to pipe into LibreOffice writer (to use other
>open source software) and rely on it’s abilities to turn strings of
>characters and tables into decent pdf. But I don’t think this is very
>elegant (and it will without doubt be painful).
>>
>> I would like to argue once more to use TeX as the typesetting engine
>(I have done so in the past).
>>
>> There is one obvious downside of this: Joe Average User (probably
>everybody outside academia) does not have TeX installed and with all
>its fonts and utilities it is a huge software package. And this is why
>this proposal was turned down in the past.
>>
>> But please, let me one last time argue its pros:
>>
>> o) Even though it is not installed, it is not that hard to install.
>Packages exists essentially for all platforms, it is just one
>dependency (for pdftex) on any Linux package manager, there are ready
>to install (single click) packages for Windows and Mac. And is probably
>the prime example of stability: Since the mid-1980s every TeX source as
>produced exactly the same output only any platform. Version problems
>are nonexistent (thanks to the stubbornness of Don Knuth).
>>
>> o) As it is an external program, we don’t need to force it on users.
>Only those users who want to use subsurface to produce prime quality
>paper logbook pages would need to install it.

> [...]

As a user, while I agree that expecting or including TeX is not really feasible, Robert's patch does only do something if it finds pdftex. I have been looking at this problem, as I need to re-do my logbook, and with some work, I might take advantage of that patch. I have been playing a little with the template, and I am working on adding some more data to the export for my own use.
Robert, is there a reason for some hard-coding in the dive.tex output, or is it just an artifact from the hack?
--
David Tillotson