GSoC Project: Native Bluetooth support for Linux and/or Windows

Tommi Saviranta wnd at iki.fi
Mon Mar 9 07:12:04 PDT 2015

On Mon, Mar 09, 2015 at 15:18:59 +0200, Benjamin wrote:
> Could you perhaps elaborate on your statement that Subsurface needs
> some persuasion to work with the Petrel?

In short, when I select Shearwater/Petrel, I cannot (intuitively) enter
the device address until I try and fail to download the logs once.

If device discovery is supposed to do some magic here, it doesn't work
for me. For all I know, device discovery might depend on some desktop
environment stuff I'm unlikely to have installed.

Actual procedure using fresh sources, libdivecomputer,
134da18190b5ea1581d789564979e3e4c73cd243 (with new set of patches),
Subsurface, 2e6fcfc96971ff0fa6cb876b1ef7613ede495d24.

1. Open download dialog. Vendor, computer and device path are restored
   from my previous run: Suunto, Vyper, /dev/ttyUSB0. All three widgets
   are enabled.
2. Select Shearwater as vendor. Device widget gets disabled (with the
   old value (USB0) in it). Select Petrel as dive computer if needed.
3. Click "Download". An error dialog is shown: "Unable to open
   /dev/ttyUSB0 Shearwater (Petrel)"
4. Click "Ok" to close the dialog. Device widget is now enabled again.
5. Enter device BT address.
6. Click "Retry". Logs are downloaded.

This doesn't really bother me too much and with the WIP patches, I
didn't see much point in fixing the UI. Because the patches worked so
well, I never bothered to look any further in them. Also, yesterday was
the second time I had to go through this; the first time I went through
this was in October when I first tried the (old) patches.