Galileo Sol dive log decoding.

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Mon Mar 9 09:38:57 PDT 2015

On 09/03/2015 17:19, Jef Driesen wrote:
> On 2015-03-09 14:24, Willem Ferguson wrote:
>> I am currently working with dive logs of the Galileo. I am looking at
>> the events during the dive.
>
> Are you talking about direct downloading from the dive computer, or
> importing from the Uwatec application?
I am talking of the directly downloaded files I presume: those saved as
subsurface.bin. Am I right?
Certainly the links you refer to below are helpful in decoding these. I
will do controlled dives with a
Galileo,  generating events in a planned way, then download the dives as
subsurface.bin and decode them to
see the way the events were recorded. I have written software to do the
decoding and I think it is quite
sufficient for these purposes. I have a reasonable understanding of the
dive structure and the way flags and
events are implemented. I can read any arbitrary dive within the whole
downloaded dive log.
At least, that is my general plan of action.

>> The following events are recorded:
>> a) Several alarms, e.g rapid acscent, MOD alarm, excessive workload,
>> CNS overload, missed deco stop, RBT exceeded. Some of these have a
>> second marker for resetting the alarm (e.g. MOD; ascent rate).
>> b) Events such as gas change and bookmarks.
>>
>> 1) Which of these are handled by libdivecomputer and can therefore be
>> handles in Subsurface? This will determine which ones I will
>> specifically look at.
>
> Have a look at the libdivecomputer parser_sample_event_t enum. It
> lists all the events that are supported today. Note that the current
> events were modeled after the Suunto event model. This will be
> reworked significantly after the v0.5 release, and not all events will
> be kept (especially the Suunto specific ones).

Thanks. This is very helpful.

>> 2) I would prefer just providing the dive log details for
>> implementation, for instance "this is how gas changes are recorded
>> into the dive log...". Would this be workable for you at all?
>
> Sure. If you're going to reverse engineer the data, you'll be
> interested in these pages:
>
> http://diversity.sourceforge.net/uwatec_smart_format.html
> http://diversity.sourceforge.net/uwatec_galileo_format.html

Thanks, I am in contact with Simon Naunton.
Assuming I uncover something useful, I will document this in the
libdivecomputer wiki,
as well as on Simon's existing web page.