"one dive" printout - not correct HTML interpretion for dive from planner

K. "pestophagous" Heller pestophagous at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 23:07:52 PST 2015

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 2:12 AM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> That orphaned </table> tag does not seem to cause any trouble in the
>> Notes panel in the GUI, but I can imagine that it might wreak havoc
>> when that </table> is nested into the middle of the *outer* table of
>> the printer html template.
>>

> yes, a closed tag without an opening tag isn't exactly valid HTML
> according to W3C (i've just double checked that).
> but it shouldn't cause much of a problem in most parsers.
>
> nesting tables should be fine, in general.

i agree. nesting tables is fine.

> the issue with fully-styled
> HTML in the planner notes is caused by something else.
>
> lubomir

you are correct. the styling issues must be caused by something else
other than the oddity i highlighted in add_plan_to_notes.

to clarify:  nesting tables was not my worry. my worry is regarding a
single orphan tag (which happens to be '</table>') getting into the
middle of an outer table. i don't know what to call this, but i
wouldn't call it nested tables.

one path through add_plan_to_notes introduces (essentially) line 3 in
the middle of what would otherwise be well-formed html:

1: <table> <!-- well formed -->
2: ... other content ...
3:        </table>  <!-- missing a rightful matching opener -->
4: ... other content ...
5: </table> <!-- this was once well formed -->

this prematurely closes the outer table, which has weird implications
for all that other content. but since the outcome you observed cannot
be explained by a prematurely-closed table, then my notes are nothing
but a red herring this time. not helpful :(

/K

P.S. Thanks for patching that stray 'qt-ui' in the 'if(BTSUPPORT)'
cmake section that I was uncertain about.