Is anyone working on an iOS app?

Guido Lerch guido.lerch at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 02:45:43 PDT 2015

Hi Anton

> On 10 October, 2015 - Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>

> > > On Oct 10, 2015, at 2:27 AM, Guido Lerch <guido.lerch at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > If you guys agree I submit this as my app, not use any ssrf code and
> just read from the cloud storage.
> > >
> > > V1 would only be dive details, no profile, hence this is reading some
> stuff and displaying.
> >
> > So I have talked to quite a few people about this and while the FSF
> seems to have
> > come out that the iTunes store is incompatible with the GPL, there are
> quite a few
> > apps in there that are GPL based and I found a couple that explained
> their rationale
> > why they thought this was acceptable.
> >
> > My plan had been to get the Android app to a reasonable state and then
> bring
> > the discussion to the mailing list. I'm inclined to say that if "the
> vast majority of
> > the contributors" agree that they can live with the FSF's objections
> (because
> > frankly, I find them rather silly), then we should add the necessary
> glue layer
> > to port Subsurface-mobile to IOS. The nice thing about the way we are
> building
> > Subsurface-mobile (with a QML UI) is that in theory this should be
> fairly simple.
> >
> > The big challenges would be the BT / FTDI download and features like
> that,
> > but the core of the app should port quite easily.
> >

> A quick browse on http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtbluetooth-index.html , it says
> that iOS is supported, so the BT code "should" work.
>
> The ftdi code is probably a no-go, but we could probably live with that.
>
> > So if you would like to investigate that, I would suggest that route
> instead
> > of starting from scratch.
> >

> I think building a separate iOS app in parity with what we plan to
> support on android is a insurmountable task.

Agreed, how can we get started with some testing. Makes sense to get the
Android app
to a good state before starting with iOS, however, waiting a couple of
weeks/ month and
then finding that it doesn't work would be a pity.
I discussed this with some divers, nobody is really expecting a full
Subsurface all on iOS, they
want to view their main dive parameters, add locations with GPS and
eventually get a signature
into their cloud storage.
Since I don't have an Android phone anymore and non of my colleagues has I
don't know what
the Android App does.

--
Best regards,