4.5 has been released

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Oct 14 11:00:16 PDT 2015

Hi everyone

It took a while - 2109 commits by git's counting (which is a bit flawed as
a few commits that went into 4.4.1 and 4.4.2 are counted twice). That's
the most we ever had between two major releases (for comparison, the
switch from Gtk to Qt (3.1->4.0) was only 1643 commits. And from the start
of git history to 3.1 it took 2189 commits. So yes, a massive amount of
changes went in since 4.4 was released on February 4.

Who are the top contributors of code?

   753	Dirk Hohndel
   327	Tomaz Canabrava
   188	Miika Turkia
   161	Gehad Elrobey
    87	Robert Helling
    74	Anton Lundin
    68	Grace Karanja
    66	Lubomir I. Ivanov
    58	Rick Walsh
    51	Claudiu Olteanu
    45	Salvador Cuñat
    36	Guido Lerch
    30	Willem Ferguson
    27	Joakim Bygdell
    23	Jan Darowski
    21	Linus Torvalds
    16	Guillaume GARDET
    14	Sergey Starosek
    12	Marcos CARDINOT
    11	Sander Kleijwegt
     6	Patrick Valsecchi
     6	Sebastian Kügler
     4	Gaetan Bisson
     4	Tim Wootton
     3	Henrik Brautaset Aronsen
     3	Thiago Macieira
     3	Venkatesh Shukla
     2	Giorgio Marzano
     2	Martin Long
     2	Paul-Erik Törrönen
     2	pestophagous
     1	Jan Mulder
     1	Pedro Neves
     1	Torstein Husebø
     1	Yousef Hamza

My numbers are misleading as every pull of translations and many other
things end up counting as a commit from me. So Tomaz, Miika, Gehad,
Robert, Andton, Grace, Lubomir, Rick, Claudiu, Salvador, Guido...
where do I stop the list without just repeating what's above?

Thanks to all of you for your hard work.

What's interesting is how many new people are in this list. GSoC students,
but also quite a few others who haven't contributed before. 35 people
sent at least one commit, 20 sent more than 10 commits. For comparison,
from the start of Subsurface until the last Gtk release (3.1.1) only 15
different developers had 10 or more commits. And of those 15 only 7 are
still in the 20 top committers of this release...

So what am I trying to say? I think we're a very healthy project.

What is under-represented in all the numbers above is the amazing work
done by the translators on the team. We have 86 translators on Transifex.
We have 20 languages that are complete enough for me to include them. We
have a user manual in 4 languages, we have a web page that is (at least
the key pages) available in 9 languages.

I'm incredibly proud of how far we've gotten. I'm incredibly proud of this
release.

Thanks to all of you for your hard work, your patience, your commitment
and most of all for making this fun for me (and hopefully for everyone
involved).

So what's next?
- collect fixes and translation updates for the inevitable 4.5.1
- get the mobile app (dare I say apps?) to the point where we can have a beta
- get started on Subsurface 4.6

To many more years of fun developing dive log software

Thanks