Uemis patches

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Sep 7 07:47:24 PDT 2015

Let's keep the mailing list copied...

On Mon, Sep 07, 2015 at 04:23:01PM +0200, Guido Lerch wrote:
> Hi Dirk,
>
> Silly question but how do you leave my message and comment it ? I have
> tried within gmail but that doesnt allow me to do this.

I think if you click on the three little dots that represent the included
message that you quote then you should be able to write your responses
inline... I just tried with the web interface and that seemed to work.

> It is really helpful to comment on your comments .. I try this way.
>
> Sorry for the patches, wasnt aware of this issue on the mac.

I think every single contributor on a Mac has this problem. I just know
that Robert figured out how to fix it and hope that he will share the
"how" with you...

> I struggle with the commit still, it opens up in VIM and I dont know how
> the commit messages should look, I am trying to follow what's on the
> contribution page
> and I am sure those will get better over time.

vim - the best editor ever.

So you should have the commit title (concise, one line) in the very first
line.
Then an empty line.
Then the rest of the commit message.

vim can do many things, including automated line breaks and all that good
stuff. But for just editing commit messages, all you need is to know how
to enter insert mode, exit insert mode and save the file :-)

> I agree I should have done a separate commit for the removal of commented
> out code.

I'll be happy to show to you how to still do that.

> I dont know either why the commit message got messed up with the additional
> information :-( maybe I should try to use another editor ?

I think it's the missing empty line after the title

> I did everything the same way as with the monster patch, no idea why the
> sign off is missing.

My guess is you typed "git commit" instead of "git commit -s"

> Last, I am always using tab not white space, any idea what you cause the
> white space instead of the tab ?

Yes, QtCreator might be "helping" you. It's default setting unfortunately
is the Qt coding style which indents with four spaces. Our CodingStyle
document contains settings for QtCreator to switch it to our coding style.

> Getting help live would be great I am using skype and goto meeting, never
> used hang out.

Umm. Two rather nasty tools that I'm no big fan of. You have a gmail
account. In the gmail interface, on the left, you should have an icon to
sign into hangouts. That would be by far the easiest for me.

Or, even better (because you can talk to many of us)

go to

https://webchat.freenode.net

sign in with a nickname of your chioce (glerch ?) and set "#subsurface" (no
quotes) as your channel. Solve the captcha and connect.