cloud storage progress bar testing

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Sep 10 10:28:11 PDT 2015

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 04:49:52PM +0000, Sander M. Kleijwegt wrote:
> I have tested it on windows 7 (I don't own 10) and am _not_ seeing the spinner
> with the following steps:
>
> Using 4.5 beta 1

Yes, Beta 1 had the spinner that I have given up on and that apparently
fails for Windows.

> 1) add bogus password to subsurface cloud settings
> 2) delete C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Subsurface\Subsurface\*
> 3) restart subsurface
> 4) add correct password to subsurface cloud settings
> 5) press open cloud storage
>
> Using 4.4.96-70-g404cfec7dc2b I get the progress bar very shortly when doing
> the same procedure. It is not visible when reloading without wiping the cache.
> It seems parsing or whatever takes the larger part of 'loading' whereas the
> actual downloading from git is only a little part of the entire process. If it
> is possible I'd suggest the progress bar to include the parsing as well.

The thought here is this. In my tests, even with 10000 dives loading from
local git takes only a few seconds, not long enough for anyone to worry.
But loading 10000 dives over a slow-ish link can take minutes. That's when
I want to show the progress bar.