Failed to parse while importing CSV file

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Sep 11 11:05:34 PDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 05:48:09PM +0000, Thibaut Neiger wrote:
> Huh,
> It looks like it sometime works.
> Let's be more systematic.
> - I start Surface
> - I create a new log book
> - Import log file
> - Select my new (included) file
> - Drag the Notes headers to the notes column (why is it not recognized, btw)
> - I Switch the duration to Minutes
> - Click OK
>
> -> The status bar shows a message saying:
> Failed to parse '..../plongee.csv'
>
> included are a couple of screenshots and the new file.

Thanks for the detailed explanation and screen shots.

I'm not quite sure why Notes isn't recognized (I'll have to spend some
more time looking at the code to remind myself how this was supposed to
work...)

But I can explain the failure to parse: Subsurface assumes that the input
file is valid utf-8 and apparently your file isn't:

plongee.csv:26: parser error : Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate encoding !
27/08/2008      Safaga, Panorama Reef, Egypte   39      46      Premi�re profonde
                                                                     ^

I'm sure you can instrcut Excel to export the file as UTF-8 and then this
should work.