Bluetooth Issues and Fixes

Steve stevewilliams at internode.on.net
Thu Sep 17 06:12:13 PDT 2015

I have been having problems with both of the Bluetooth modes (new native and
old SPP / com port)

Trying connect to either dive computers, Shearwater Petrel 2 and Heinrich
Weikamp OSTC3+ (non sport) in Windows 10.

I will start with the Windows 10 SPP com port issue/fix first:

The general RTM (Release To Manufacture) Windows 10 build (including all
patches/hotfixes up till now) does not work with SPP Bluetooth outgoing com
ports at all.

The port gets created but you get a permission denied error every time any
software tries to access it.

I have been fighting this since first upgrading /downgrading ;)

I have just installed preview build 10532 and they have fixed their
Bluetooth SPP com port communications in this version.

So a hotfix should be released sometime in the future to address that
problem for the general public.

It might be worth noting it in the known issues of the 4.5 release if it's
not fixed by then.

Next is the new native Bluetooth connect method that I still have some
issues with:

I first originally tested this and had it working with a special build that
Claudiu build (I can't remember if I have had it working again in newer
versions since then but other people have).

I have completely uninstalled, then deleted the subsurface registry entry
HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Software, Subsurface.

Then rebooted and reinstalled the latest daily v4.4.96-135-ge5caca8f4901 and
using a new log file.

The problem seems to be that after selecting the Choose Bluetooth download
mode checkbox and pressing scan on the dialog box:

All devices within range show zeros as their address eg: "Name
(00:00:00:00:00:00)" see attachment win10-ostc3+bluetooth01.jpg

Then if I select the OSTC3+ device name anyway and click save then click the
download button

The progress bar then goes to 100% (previously noted issue) and I get the
error "Unable to open 00:00:00:00:00:00 etc. see attachment
win10-ostc3+bluetooth02.jpg

If I then type in the device or mount point drop-box the correct mac address
00:80:25:49:D6:DF and click retry it fails with the same error as above.

If I close the download window and click Import, Import from dive computer
to bring the download box up again.

Then change in the device or mount point drop-box from 00:00:00:00:00:00 to
the correct mac address 00:80:25:49:D6:DF and click download it works as it
should.

General notes and questions:

I potentially may have caused the issue with the native Bluetooth by  trying
to trouble-shoot the Windows SPP outgoing com port issues noted above?

I do have a working system now it's just that the scan selection dialog does
not find the correct mac addresses even though they can work when inputted
manually.

Running Bluetooth log view software I can see the correct mac address of the
dive computer shown when it comes into range of the laptop.

When doing the scan, where is it getting the mac address for the devices
from and/or storing it?

What is the button with the ellipse next to ellipsis (3 dots) next to the
device or mount point drop-box supposed to do?

I couldn't find it in the manual and it doesn't seem to do anything for me?

Steve