Kirigami: a feature needed for subsurface and api change feedback

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Apr 19 05:03:01 PDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 01:54:10PM +0200, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:

> > As I go through our sources I notice that for Subsurface-mobile the new
> > syntax isn't really better (but that's because we do weird things with pages
> > that have multiple states). That isn't to say that I suddenly no longer
> > like the new syntax - it's just an observation.
>
> Have you tried looking into possible ways you could get rid of these "weird
> things with pages that have multiple states"?

Hehe... so this is the underlying structure that Sebastian had initially
implemented... there's a certain amount of worry on my part to mess with
that too much :-)

> Since it's not something that Kirigami was made for, I fear that at some
> point, it will just break, and it would neither be good if Kirigami had to
> adapt to Subsurface-mobile's specialties, nor if you had to work "against"
> Kirigami.

No such intention here. I know that Sebastian and Marco worked on this
initial implementation together (quite a while ago by now). It works.
It doesn't seem to break things. I wouldn't be surprised if all this
could be done better, but I don't feel competent to judge that.

> Maybe the fact that you are doing these "weird things" points to an important
> pattern which Kirigami is missing and should be added in a proper way.

Sebastian, can you comment on that?