What happened to the depth being shown on profile?

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Apr 20 12:48:16 PDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 11:34:51AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> If it's just the min/max arrays, let me fix that for you. I'll make
> >> them indices instead of pointers.
> >
> > That's it indeed. And your fix would be appreciated. Just make sure you
> > also fix the "consumer" of this over in the profile widget code.
>
> This ended up being a bit bigger than expected. When looking at that
> code, I realized that the average was miscalculated (although it may
> not be used anywhere any more), and I also ended up correcting and
> adding comments.

I love the "adding comments" bit. In gerneral I feel that our code would
benefit from more enlightening comments.

After a bit of testing this certainly fixes the problem and seems to
create consistent plots.

Reading the patch the code makes sense and seems an improvement. I'm not
in love with "int entry" since we have pi->entry (which is a pointer) to
confuse it with, but heck, I'm sure you had a good reason for picking that
name :-)

What puzzles me is why we even create 3, 6, and 9 minute intervals since
it seems we never use anything but the 9 minute intervals. What am I
missing? Why aren't we just doing the 9 minute intervals and be done with
it?