(final) pre beta test Mobile version -800

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Feb 9 06:18:22 PST 2016

On Tue, Feb 09, 2016 at 10:58:46AM +0100, Jan Mulder wrote:
> List,
>
> Concentrated my testing on 2 different aspects. Cloud- and save management,
> and layout of the DiveEdit screen.
>
> Layout DiveEdit screen: I think Dirk finally did it. Scrolled and selected
> all over the place trough my divelist, and the scaling of the DiveEdit
> screen is always ok. Tested this on a 5" phone in portrait and landscape
> mode, and on an almost stock Samsung 10" tablet (Android 4.1.2) as well in
> both landscape and portrait.

Thank you for your effort on this. I didn't believe it would happen
anymore after I don't know, at least a dozen attempts. I played with it on
three devices myself and things always stayed as they should be. Not
always beautifully layed out (I actually have an experimental commit to
slightly improve the layout), But it didn't clip and it didn't crash for
me, regardless how weird I made the content (being able to edit on the
device helped a lot with these crazy tests).

> Cloud- and save management. Also here I can say that it is a big improvement
> compared to the flawed logic before. Off line edits work ok. Multiple cloud
> account works with 1 (probably) little thing. Let me elaborate a little.
> Synced 2 cloud accounts to my phone (my original big logbook, and
> ssrftest at hohndel.org test account). Switching between them, by just entering
> new credentials as there is no other way, does not trigger a re-load of the
> just entered new credentials. Restart of the app does show the correct list,
> however. Not a biggy, as I consider the mobile app a personal thing and the
> multiple accounts on one device sounds a little far fetched for me.

Let's combine your two follow up emails into this:

The problem is that it doesn't do the right thing when offline. It works
when you are online. I think I know why and will try a quick fix.

> A short list of things that I reported over the days that are not addressed
> at this point:
> - Save of a single dive edit takes longer than expected.

Yes. Not something I'll hold the beta for. But please file a bug so it
doesn't get dropped

> - Longer dives with gas data filled in, and requiring interpolation for
> missing gas pressure values because the users divecomputer is not reporting
> those takes too much time.

Also correct. Same comment as above. Please file a bug. Maybe I can shake
Linus into improving his perfect code.

> - Refesh in the menu navigates the divelist to a very stange place. Way down
> in the list (opened a ticket for this one
> (http://trac.subsurface-divelog.org/ticket/1009)

Thanks for doing that. Not blocking the beta.

> - opening the "application log" and the DiveEdit at the same time causes the
> 2 top-right icons (3 dots, and the edit pencil) to be drawn on top of each
> other.

Please file a bug. Henrik may not have anchored the button correctly. I'll
try to look into this real quick because this might be easy, but I won't
hold the beta for this.

> Are these 4 points reason to not start and open beta ... I don't think so.

Completely agree. Thanks again for the testing and for the dilligence to
keep the issues reported. I really think that we should try harder to use
trac for this as it makes it much easier not to forget things that way.

Here's my plan:

- look into the "switch between two accounts when offline" - if it looks
  easy, I'll address it
- look into the overlapping icons
- find a way to post the Subsurface-mobile manual that Willem so
  generously created
- promote an APK to beta (either 800 or a slightly higher version if
  either of those fixes above was easy).
- announce it to the world

ETA: no idea. If I get lucky, today (I've been up since 5 going through
email and IRC).