Subsurface-planner [was: Now Accepting GSoC 2016 Mentor Organization Applications]

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Feb 9 13:51:07 PST 2016

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 08:25:04AM +1100, Rick Walsh wrote:
> > A separate Subsurface-planner would be nice as well.  Maybe something
> > simple, with just table based input and output, utilizing the powerful deco
> > planner core that we have.
>
> I created the basics of a table input/output planner ui. I haven't
> submitted it as I really didn't want to distract from getting the first
> mobile release out, and also I haven't had time to work out how to connect
> it to the core code (which requires me learning qt and c++). I keep
> changing my mind whether the better option is modify the existing c++
> models to suit qml (and still work for the desktop), or duplicate the
> models. Maybe someone else could sort that out quickly. I think it'd be a
> lot simpler than the existing dive list code.

I think it would be much smarter to adapt the existing models so they can
work for both UIs. Code duplication just makes things harder to maintain.

> I'll submit the code *FOR DISCUSSION* when I get a chance. Perhaps tonight
> au time.

Cool.

> It fits into the current mobile app. It could be standalone, but I don't
> see the point, and then it would lose the potential to plan based on gas

Yeah, I wasn't entirely serious when suggesting a separate app. I just
don't want the distraction from our current goal of releasing a first
version at all.

With the first beta out I consider the functionality more or less frozen.
I'll add the cylinder editing in the next beta, but other than that...?

Everything that's added after today should wait for the next
Subsurface-mobile release.

> > Many would appreciate an open source alternative to expensive and
> > slightly awkward software like Multideco and Baltic deco planner.
>
> I agree completely. Plus my buddy's version of MultiDeco on his phone has
> started giving odd results and I don't trust it.

I hear Subsurface dive planner also sometimes gives you "odd" results :-)