Subsurface-planner [was: Now Accepting GSoC 2016 Mentor Organization Applications]

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 13:25:04 PST 2016

On 10 Feb 2016 05:22, "Henrik Brautaset Aronsen" <subsurface at henrik.synth.no>
wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 3:05 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

>> This is open source. No one can veto what you want to do.
>>
>> > So don't implement the dive planning into the subsurface-mobile just
yet
>> > but does this really justify the creation of another companion app to
>> > perform the dive planning? That'll then be 3 mobile subsurface apps we
>> > have, surely better to restrict the number of them and eventually
(Even if
>> > it's a while out) merge the functionality into a single app.
>>
>> The companion app goes away. Subsurface-mobile replaces that (even though
>> that part of the functionality definitely needs a lot more testing). But
>> no, this would get us Subsurface-mobile and Subsurface-planner.
>>
>> And while I would hate to see people spend time on the latter I can't
stop
>> you. My guess is that Sebastian and I won't be contributing there, so
>> you'll be a bit on your own for now, but that's how it goes if you want
>> do something that isn't really useful for the goals of the project (as
>> laid out by the humble maintainer).
>

> A separate Subsurface-planner would be nice as well.  Maybe something
simple, with just table based input and output, utilizing the powerful deco
planner core that we have.

I created the basics of a table input/output planner ui. I haven't
submitted it as I really didn't want to distract from getting the first
mobile release out, and also I haven't had time to work out how to connect
it to the core code (which requires me learning qt and c++). I keep
changing my mind whether the better option is modify the existing c++
models to suit qml (and still work for the desktop), or duplicate the
models. Maybe someone else could sort that out quickly. I think it'd be a
lot simpler than the existing dive list code.

I'll submit the code *FOR DISCUSSION* when I get a chance. Perhaps tonight
au time.

It fits into the current mobile app. It could be standalone, but I don't
see the point, and then it would lose the potential to plan based on gas

> Many would appreciate an open source alternative to expensive and
slightly awkward software like Multideco and Baltic deco planner.

I agree completely. Plus my buddy's version of MultiDeco on his phone has
started giving odd results and I don't trust it.

Rick