Fwd: Re: Android alpha -832 with experimental mobile components change

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Fri Feb 12 07:36:50 PST 2016

On 12/02/2016 16:50, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> My current thinking is that having the additional items in the top bar
> doesn't really cause any harm. They don't waste screen real estate (since
> we aren't going to drop the top bar completely - ok, maybe we could make
> it thinner, but that's not a huge difference), they are easy and obvious
> to even a casual user.
>
> The question is more complicated with the handles on the bottom - and
> that's why we are doing these alpha binaries so people can try them and
> tell us what they think. I'll make a new binary with the transparent
> handles soon so we can collect more feedback.
>
> /D

  For me, each square millimeter on the screen is important. Both a fixed
action button and the two experimental arrow buttons at the bottom
effectively remove a valuable piece of display area at the bottom of the
screen. Intuitively I feel the action button packs more functionality
into a single button. However it took me some time to get used to using
the action button. A high priority should be to keep that bottom area of
the screen available for ordinary data display. The initial Action
button that disappeared depending on scrolling was a reasonable solution
to this problem. But any solution that (mostly) frees the bottom part of
the screen would be fantastic.
Kind regards,
willem