Android alpha -838 with experimental mobile components change

David Tillotson david at acmelabs.co.uk
Fri Feb 12 13:03:51 PST 2016

On 12 February 2016 18:28:37 GMT+00:00, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>> YU VILL LIKE IIT (spoken with Arnold-style German accent)

I actually do like it, much to my surprise!

>About two dozen people here have so far tried the Android app. It would
>be good
>if we could get constructive, solid feedback to Marco and Thomas
>(please copy them,
>they are not on the Subsurface mailing list). I'm beginning to lean
>towards this direction,
>no buttons in the top bar, user interactions focused on the bottom. So
>if you feel this
>is the wrong decisions, please speak up.

To be honest, the right-hand context menu seems to be redundant, as the only entries are duplicates of pre-existing controls. It also has an issue on the Note 4, as it opens almost all the way across, and the control that looks like it should collapse the menu opens the main left-hand menu. Oddly, the back button collapses the almost hidden context menu, leaving the main menu open.

The controls are a major step forward though, IMHO. My first reaction was my normal skepticism, but 5 minutes was all it took for me to get so use to it that I got annoyed at other "material" apps!

>Also, when commenting, please note the approximate size of your screen.
>I think
>this might get different responses from people on smaller phones,
>people on phablets
>like the Nexus 6 / 6p, and people on tablets...

For reference, the screen on the Note 4 is 1440x2560.

My now standard test routine hit an issue with wrong credentials seeming to get stuck on "Attempting to open cloud storage...", although killing and restarting brought up the expected "Cloud credentials are invalid".
Attached is a profile from a manually added dummy dive, that seems to have set the width to 2:30 hours for some reason.
I couldn't reproduce the blank profile this time around, but I'm not sure if there has been a fix for this.

With luck I'll be able to test the GPS properly this weekend, if the weather holds (in the quarry to get properly weighted with the new wing).

--
David Tillotson