Subsurface-mobile 858 - crashes

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Sun Feb 14 12:58:09 PST 2016

On 14/02/2016 22:26, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 10:46:15AM +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
>> I have many crashes. Happens before the dive list is displayed. Launches
>> successfully about 20% of the time. Apart from that, same symptoms observed
>> by others.
> Do you have another logcat with a crash or two in it? That's really more
> useful than just a report of "I have many crashes".
>
> I poked around in the function that was shown top of stack and nothing
> jumped out at me :-(
>
> What's odd is that it works one out of five times. I hate
> non-deterministic crashes...
>
> /D

I have run 859 many times now without a crash. If I am the only one
complaining, let's leave it for the moment and see
what happens? I have several logcats for 858, but I would wait and see
if this is persistent.

Comment or 2:

1) The font on the Show GPS fixes is much better, to such a degree that
I would consider it solved. Obviously if the dive site name is long,
then there is an overrun on the right. On my phone the "Auto-created
dive" site name only just touches the left side of the three lines of
the drag pad.

2) I have some dives with lots of notes. The notes appear to be cut off
after an & character in the text of the notes: inconvenient.

3) I also see the white-screen phenomenon that Miika wrote about when
one scrolls far down the dive list. Must be a buffering problem (see
attached image). If I scroll slowly the problem does not occur.

4) the apparent freezing of the UI while there is internet communication
should be made a bit more user friendly, perhaps with a blatant message
somewhere onscreen that says "Synchronising with cloud" or something
similar so that the user can understand why the system is apparently frozen.

There is immense progress with this software, nothing short of
mind-boggling, albeit at the price of many,many man hours.

I will do more complete testing of the latest version tomorrow.

Kind regards,
willem