Silly button [was Re: latest Android apk]

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 21:17:44 PST 2016

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 7:11 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

>> On Jan 7, 2016, at 8:58 PM, Miika Turkia <miika.turkia at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 11:18 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>>> On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 09:50:50PM +0100, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes it is. After interesting discussions with the human interaction
>>> designer in the Plasma team I decided to bring it back as it does really
>>> improve the interaction. The idea is that if you hold your phone with one
>>> hand (as most people do), the top two corner where the menu and context
>>> menu buttons are, are the two hardest to get to spots on the screen.
>>>
>>> So the action button is actually a much more convenient way to access
>>> those menus.
>>>
>>> "But I don't like change!" I said. And so we agreed to have both - the
>>> menu buttons in the top corners which people are familiar with, and the
>>> action button in the lower center, for people who don't want to dislocated
>>> their thumbs.
>>>
>>> I've played with this for a while yesterday and I think I can get used to
>>> the action button - it does really make things easier. But you can safely
>>> ignore it and use the traditional menu buttons if you prefer.
>>
>> Could we add prev-next dive actions to the action button? Up and down.
>> This would still allow people to scroll normally, but one could also
>> go through the dives this way?
>
> We are actually working on getting side swipe to do next and previous which
> I find much more natural.

great

>> I am also still thinking that normal swipe up and down could lead to
>> next and previous dives. If it is possible to scroll up or down when
>> swiping, do that first. However, if we already are at the e.g. bottom,
>> allow one to swipe to the previous dive. Does this make any sense?
>
> That's weird. horizontal makes much more sense to me

Fine by me. There just currently is two different actions when you
swipe horizontally (menu/edit mode bar and switching from details to
divelist or log) and when swiping vertically (my notes are small and
Nexus 7 fits everything on the screen). Any sensible way to jump to
different dive works for me :D

miika