Androind build -900

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Tue Mar 1 13:54:41 PST 2016

On Dienstag, 1. März 2016 12:10:13 CET Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 11:26:48AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > On Mar 1, 2016 7:35 AM, "Dirk Hohndel" <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> > >.   The undo stack has depth ONE, so only the last delete can be
> > >
> > > undone and only within 3 seconds of doing so - basically if you do
> > > nothing, the app does what you told it to do; it deletes the dive.
> >
> > So the 3 seconds made me wonder, since it sounds fairly short, and the
> > "undo timeout" is what the Android Gmail app does too.
> >
> > The Android Gmail app seems to use a timeout of 7-8 seconds for the undo
> > button.
> >
> > That's not saying that 3s is wrong, but it's a data point.
>
> I started with something longer and that felt weird to me - and it made it
> too easy to have multiple deletes pending and that made things worse
> (since we quite explicitly support just one undo).
>
> I'm not against making it slightly longer if people feel it's too short,
> but when I played with different durations three seconds felt "about
> right".
>
> Thomas, do you have research on that?

I don't have any research on the optimum duration, to be honest.

In the end, it depends on several factors:
- How long does it take to realize that a dive was deleted by mistake?
- How bad would it be if a user accidentally deleted a dive and didn't realize
the mistake in time to undo the deletion?
- How often do users delete several dives in succession?
- How annoying does the notification feel while you continue browsing your
dives?

It's always a trade-off between safety and efficiency (like so often in real
life as well). Unfortunately. this is difficult to test in a "controlled" user
test because the necessary time to realize a mistake can only be measured in
real-life situations.

What GMail does is timing out an undelete immediately if one deletes another
email (assuming that you'd have realized a mistake by then). You could do the
same to prevent pending deletions from piling up.

I'd say it's okay to go with 3s for now and see if people report having been
unable to undo an accidental deletion because they were not fast enough
(unless an accidentally deleted dive would be a serious loss of data, in which
case it might be better to err on the side of caution and make it a bit
longer).

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Thomas