third Android beta

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Mar 4 21:25:08 PST 2016

Hi everyone,

I just promoted the latest Subsurface-mobile alpha build (-924) into the third beta. As usual, it will take a few hours for Google Play to process this, but the ~100 people who have tested Subsurface-mobile beta versions so far should get the new build soon.

As far as I am concerned, this should be the final UI, the final user interaction. We can of course make tweaks (I think we'll end up having to lengthen the timeout on the delete-undo, for example - I have one device where there is a fairly pronounced hang when tapping on delete and by the time the UI comes back to life the Undo action expires in under a second), but over all I would like to freeze things right here - this will allow Willem to take screen shots and update the manual (I did a first stab of that in the latest commit).

Please test this as much as you can - I'm ok with minor flaws (Willem found an issue in the layout of the GPS fixes), but I want to avoid bigger cases of egg on our faces once we release this (lost data, hung devices, three headed kittens, that kind of stuff).

Thanks everyone for your help to get us here. Especially to Marco (who's responses to the issues that I exposed in the Kirigami components can only be described as "near instantaneous"), Sebastian (for doing all the heavy lifting to get the UI to the point where I could then bumble about without a clue what I'm doing and somehow shove the QML into a form where it seems to mostly do what I had in mind) and to Thomas (for his help and guidance regarding the user interaction).

Of course, lots of others have helped, both with the QML, with the backend code and with everything else.

This is the final sprint to get the first release out. So let's make it awesome.

/D

PS: and of course, thanks to Tomaz it looks like we will soon be able to add an iOS version of all this to the mix. Once Subsurface-mobile is out for Android I hope to focus on getting a first alpha out for iOS. Oh, yeah, and Subsurface 4.5.4, too. AHHHHHHHHH too much work, too little time.