Subsurface-mobile for Android first release

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Mar 10 22:32:43 PST 2016

And one more response to my own email...

Subsurface-mobile 1.0.1 (4.5.2.1058) is available in downloads/daily and on its way to both alpha and beta testers.

> On Mar 10, 2016, at 6:10 PM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> App opens to the login page. Straight forward entering details and doing a credential check. It might be an idea to change the font colour on the status messages as they don't standout at all. Maybe red for error messages?
>>
>> Good idea.
>
> Tomaz is working on this right now.

This is in 1.0.1

>>> Add manual dive - can change time but not date, other than that everything works as expected.
>>
>> What exactly do you mean by "not the date". I tested this several times, my blind guess is that you somehow ended up with something that the program doesn't parse correctly. The parsing is still a little too picky for my taste :-(
>
> I tried a few edits and they all work for me. So a specific example would
> be good.

The code is now much more flexible and understands a lot more date formats. 2016-3-10 14:34 (for our ISO friends). 3/10/16 2:34pm (for the Americans). 10.3.2016 14:34:30 (for the Germans with second precision). All of the variations support 4 digit and two digit year. With and with seconds. And for the American format we support both 24h and am/pm time.

I'm sure there are dozens more formats that we could parse. Fundamentally we need a date and time picker control for QML (but I haven't been able to find either). But for now this should be a substantial improvement.

>>> Can't see what the gas mix does as it only ever seems to show air and I can't change it to anything that seems sensible I.e. Nitrox 32 or 15/40 trimix etc. It might be better to remove it from the edit list for now.
>>
>> That would mean delaying the first release. I'll mark it as a "known issue". That's annoying - it's something I never tested... which is why it's so important to have testers try all the different parts of an app... I spend way too much time on the mechanics of getting this all to work that I usually am not thorough enough when testing. As seen here.
>> Definitely something we want to fix for v1.1
>
> Actually, something we want to fix for 1.0. Tomaz is looking into that one
> as well.

Actually, I found the bug. The parsing was correct, but the validation of the result of what we parsed was bogus. We compared permille values to percent thresholds (so we added the permille values of o2 and he and checked if they were <= 100... :facepalm:)

>>> Dive details show cylinder information but you can't add cylinders. Not a problem, but worth noting.
>>
>> Dang - both this and the previous issue could have been easily noticed and fixed in the long beta cycle :-(
>
> This is not something we can fix over night, so this will have to wait for
> the next release.

That's unchanged. That is way more change than I'm willing to do this late

>>> It's noticeable that although the access cloud warning has disappeared, the app is still thinking and everything is locked out until this process completes.
>>
>> Yes, the notice times out before the access is finished. Maybe that's not ideal. THIS is something we could change quite easily.
>
> I just implemented that.

And found a specific situation in which we showed that we were accessing cloud storage when actually we were not.

While I wish that some of this had been found earlier, I'm very happy that these things were found before a public release. Yes, the red texts are a user visible change and in theory one screen shot in the manual should be changed. But I really am not worried about this. All of the changes are making Subsurface-mobile 1.0.1 a much stronger release so I'm very grateful that this feedback came in just in time.

Please, please, please: MORE TESTING. Yes, I'd love to release tomorrow. But I'd even more like to fix any other unpleasant surprises before hundreds of users play with it and run into bugs that we could have fixed before the release.

Thanks everyone for all your hard work so far. We are really, really close!