Subsurface-mobile for Android first release

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Mar 10 18:10:50 PST 2016

After some more thinking and discussing things with Tomaz over dinner I
decided to in fact address the easier ones of these and delay the release
by a day or two for this.

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 04:53:56PM -0800, Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> > App opens to the login page. Straight forward entering details and doing a credential check. It might be an idea to change the font colour on the status messages as they don't standout at all. Maybe red for error messages?
>
> Good idea.

Tomaz is working on this right now.

> > App informs the user that the cloud is being accessed and it's downloading the dive list - that was 15 minutes ago.  Restarted the app and it took approximately 10 minutes to download a 60 dive database.
>
> That is stunning. I load 420 dives in maybe 40 seconds. Or a different user with 50 dives in maybe 15 seconds.

Miika knows this feeling. Quick question that I forgot to ask earlier. Do
you have pictures stored in your dive log by any chance? For a while we
stored pictures in the git repository and that can make the repository
HUGE. Which would explain why things are so horribly slow.

But I also know that under certain network conditions we do a very poor
job, performance wise. Which is disappointing since normally git is a very
efficient protocol.

> > Add manual dive - can change time but not date, other than that everything works as expected.
>
> What exactly do you mean by "not the date". I tested this several times, my blind guess is that you somehow ended up with something that the program doesn't parse correctly. The parsing is still a little too picky for my taste :-(

I tried a few edits and they all work for me. So a specific example would
be good.

> > Can't see what the gas mix does as it only ever seems to show air and I can't change it to anything that seems sensible I.e. Nitrox 32 or 15/40 trimix etc. It might be better to remove it from the edit list for now.
>
> That would mean delaying the first release. I'll mark it as a "known issue". That's annoying - it's something I never tested... which is why it's so important to have testers try all the different parts of an app... I spend way too much time on the mechanics of getting this all to work that I usually am not thorough enough when testing. As seen here.
> Definitely something we want to fix for v1.1

Actually, something we want to fix for 1.0. Tomaz is looking into that one
as well.

> > Dive details show cylinder information but you can't add cylinders. Not a problem, but worth noting.
>
> Dang - both this and the previous issue could have been easily noticed and fixed in the long beta cycle :-(

This is not something we can fix over night, so this will have to wait for
the next release.

> > Uploading new dive to cloud was equally slow and painful, followed immediate after by a crash
>
> The slow I don't understand, the crash worries me. I test this particular part of the app (editing things, adding things, deleting things and syncing with the cloud) all the time.
> You don't happen to have a stack trace or anything from the logcat?
>
> > Can't see new dive on desktop version - although developer log says 61 dives on cloud which should be correct - possible bug in desktop? No, after clearing memory and reloading, the dive doesn't reappear indicating that the cloud wasn't correctly updated.
>
> The crash might have prevented this from working. Again, this works really reliably for me. Are you connecting over wifi? Or via 3G/LTE? Or GPRS? :-)
>
> > Try again. Worked this time.
>
> Good.
>
> > It's noticeable that although the access cloud warning has disappeared, the app is still thinking and everything is locked out until this process completes.
>
> Yes, the notice times out before the access is finished. Maybe that's not ideal. THIS is something we could change quite easily.

I just implemented that.

> > Made change on desktop, change seen on app after reopening.
> >
> > Deleted dive ok. The undo is there a little longer than I would like, but that's a personal thing. Change replicated on desktop ok.
>
> On some phones where it takes a while for the menu to close it's barely long enough.
>
> > Overall the app is easy to use and reasonably intuitive. The lag in loading and saving is a real bind. It's not a bandwidth issue from my side and the desktop version doesn't have the same delays.
> >
> > I think that covers most things.
>
> Again, thank you so much for the detailed test!
>
> Would you mind filing bugs for the issues that you found?

You don't need to file bugs for the three things I mentioned as
"Tomaz/Dirk are working on it". But do file a bug on the "editing a date"
issue, ideally with an example.
And on adding a cylinder from Subsurface-mobile

> I now need to decide if I want to just ignore the bugs and say "to heck
> with it" or if I want to once again delay the release... I think I
> should be delaying the release... and while this seems reasonable, it
> does not make me happy :-(

As I mentioned at the beginning of this email... yes, I'll delay the
release briefly to fix the "easy" ones.