Subsurface-mobile for Android first release

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Mar 10 16:53:56 PST 2016

Hi John,

Thank you for an excellent and what seems fairly complete review.

> On Mar 10, 2016, at 12:45 PM, John Smith <noseygit at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> I started with a fresh installation and no local files.
>
> App opens to the login page. Straight forward entering details and doing a credential check. It might be an idea to change the font colour on the status messages as they don't standout at all. Maybe red for error messages?

Good idea.

> App informs the user that the cloud is being accessed and it's downloading the dive list - that was 15 minutes ago.  Restarted the app and it took approximately 10 minutes to download a 60 dive database.

That is stunning. I load 420 dives in maybe 40 seconds. Or a different user with 50 dives in maybe 15 seconds.

> Dive list scrolls well and there is only a small lag between clicking on a dive and the dive details being shown.
>
> The left and right slides are a little difficult to use until you are used to the movement required.
>
> Clicking on the pen opens up the edit window, changes are easy to make and the screen returns to the dive window with updated details all correct.
>
> Clicking the dive map correctly opens google map and shows the dive site.
>
> The back button takes me back to the dive list as expected.
>
> Add manual dive - can change time but not date, other than that everything works as expected.

What exactly do you mean by "not the date". I tested this several times, my blind guess is that you somehow ended up with something that the program doesn't parse correctly. The parsing is still a little too picky for my taste :-(

> Can't see what the gas mix does as it only ever seems to show air and I can't change it to anything that seems sensible I.e. Nitrox 32 or 15/40 trimix etc. It might be better to remove it from the edit list for now.

That would mean delaying the first release. I'll mark it as a "known issue". That's annoying - it's something I never tested... which is why it's so important to have testers try all the different parts of an app... I spend way too much time on the mechanics of getting this all to work that I usually am not thorough enough when testing. As seen here.
Definitely something we want to fix for v1.1

> Dive details show cylinder information but you can't add cylinders. Not a problem, but worth noting.

Dang - both this and the previous issue could have been easily noticed and fixed in the long beta cycle :-(

> Uploading new dive to cloud was equally slow and painful, followed immediate after by a crash

The slow I don't understand, the crash worries me. I test this particular part of the app (editing things, adding things, deleting things and syncing with the cloud) all the time.
You don't happen to have a stack trace or anything from the logcat?

> Can't see new dive on desktop version - although developer log says 61 dives on cloud which should be correct - possible bug in desktop? No, after clearing memory and reloading, the dive doesn't reappear indicating that the cloud wasn't correctly updated.

The crash might have prevented this from working. Again, this works really reliably for me. Are you connecting over wifi? Or via 3G/LTE? Or GPRS? :-)

> Try again. Worked this time.

Good.

> It's noticeable that although the access cloud warning has disappeared, the app is still thinking and everything is locked out until this process completes.

Yes, the notice times out before the access is finished. Maybe that's not ideal. THIS is something we could change quite easily.

> Made change on desktop, change seen on app after reopening.
>
> Deleted dive ok. The undo is there a little longer than I would like, but that's a personal thing. Change replicated on desktop ok.

On some phones where it takes a while for the menu to close it's barely long enough.

> Overall the app is easy to use and reasonably intuitive. The lag in loading and saving is a real bind. It's not a bandwidth issue from my side and the desktop version doesn't have the same delays.
>
> I think that covers most things.

Again, thank you so much for the detailed test!

Would you mind filing bugs for the issues that you found? I now need to decide if I want to just ignore the bugs and say "to heck with it" or if I want to once again delay the release... I think I should be delaying the release... and while this seems reasonable, it does not make me happy :-(