OSX Build problems

Tomaz Canabrava tcanabrava at kde.org
Tue Mar 15 11:35:52 PDT 2016

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 3:16 PM, Jeroen Massar <jeroen at massar.ch> wrote:

> [...]
> >> build first as then I can debug the real problem: why the heck I get
> >> segfaults when just running the tool and asking it to download from my
> >> watch ;)  --- note the smileys and good intentions throughout... ]
> >
> > Excellent! Sorry for my grumpy email.
>
> Shite happens, good that I have a thick skin (keeps me quite warm most
> of the time as well, unfortunately not warm enough to not need a thick
> piece of neoprene when diving Swiss lakes ;)

> speaking)
> me
> >>
> >> Understood, hence why my target is to, when the build works, do a clean
> >> build to make sure the build instructions are sane for everybody who
> >> follows and provide those details so that it can be replicated.
> >
> > Looking forward to that. I assume you are building master and not
> > v4.5-branch - I may want to make sure I track your patches for that as
> > well so it's easier to build 4.5.4.
>
> Yep, I am going against master.
>
> The build script nicely pulls in the relevant other repos, which is a
> useful thing to do.
>
> >> I just did not get a full build going yet, and as I noticed the patch
> >> for the path of Qt, thought I add my few intermediary cents just in case
> >> somebody else knew how to attack the problem.
> >
> > Since there are a few of us who have builds going, I'm sure we can figure
> > this out.

> hidapi

> could

> >> Great, thanks.
> >>
> >> As noted, will test on an empty OSX install and then record all the
> >> individual steps when I get it build, thus making sure that rebuilding
> >> will be easy peasy for everybody in the future.
> >
> > add libxml2 to that list and see if that fixes your problem with the
> > include path.
>
> Adding: set(CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE ON) to the CMakeLists.txt makes me a
> bit wiser that there seems to be a detection issue on my box, as the
> actual compile command is:
>
> cd /Users/jeroen/git/subsurface/subsurface/build/subsurface-core &&
>
> /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/cc
> -DBT_SUPPORT -DQT_BLUETOOTH_LIB
> [... lots of stuff ...]  -I/usr/include/libxml2 [... more stuff ]
>  -c /Users/jeroen/git/subsurface/subsurface/subsurface-core/cochran.c
> In file included from
> /Users/jeroen/git/subsurface/subsurface/subsurface-core/cochran.c:12:
> /Users/jeroen/git/subsurface/subsurface/subsurface-core/dive.h:38:10:
> fatal error: 'libxml/tree.h' file not found
>

> yeah... that is not going to work, as /usr/include/ really does not
> exist on this box ;)
>
> I will figure out why/how it thinks that is correct.
>

> Note btw that the homebrew version of libxml2 is not linked in
> /usr/local/ per default, thus I don't think that cmake will find it
> either even if you have it installed, as:
>
>  /usr/local/Cellar/libxml2/2.9.3/lib/cmake/libxml2/libxml2-config.cmake
>  /usr/local/Cellar/libxml2/2.9.3/lib/pkgconfig/libxml-2.0.pc

I found this while searching for the cmake stuff for brew, maybe it helps?
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1487752/how-do-i-instruct-cmake-to-look-for-libraries-installed-by-macports

usually I just add the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, DLYB_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH pointed
to the brew bin and lib dirs, this makes CMake works correctly most of the
time

are definitely outside the cmake search path.