dive statistics wish list

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Tue Mar 15 22:52:29 PDT 2016

On 15/03/2016 21:49, Tomaz Canabrava wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 4:28 PM, Willem Ferguson
> <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
> <mailto:willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za>> wrote:
>
>     A graphs that I would personally like to see is a scatter diagram
>     depicting SAC against dive depth. I find that my SAC increases
>     with depth, so a graphical representation of SAC with depth could
>     actually help with dive planning if SAC is one of the parameters
>     going into the planning. The way that I would use this is to
>     select a subset of dives from the dive list and do this graph for
>     that subset.
>     Kind regards,
>     willem
>

> This is not what you get currently in the Profile, the Colors on the
> gas line?

Agreed, Tomaz, but the colour of the line is only a notional color that
cannot be connected with any real SAC value. Where the profile od red,
it means relatively high SAC rate. Where it's green, it's relatively
low. But red does not mean "25 l/min" or anything similar. Am I
understanding it right? The valuable calculations are in the info page
where the sac is explicitly calculated. But more importantly, my
proposal was to summarise several dives in one graph.

But maybe Linus is correct: my suggestion relates to more "technical"
type of information that recreational divers would not really want.
Maybe one should approach the statistics presentation the other way
round. What would a recreational diver like? (What would increase the
"competitiveness" of Subsurface with respect to other dive software?
Should this be a criterion?). From the little bit I have seen of other
dive log packages, these are simple bar graphs (histograms) of dive
depth for a number of dives, dive duration, SAC; basically bar graphs of
the parameters one can see on the stats tab. Maybe Davide (or anyone
else) should suggest a prioritised list of what is important to
represent visually? Davide's original suggestion was pretty complex.
Kind regards,
willem