Scubapro ALADIN SPORT

Andreas Reschke andreas at rirasoft.de
Wed Mar 16 03:51:26 PDT 2016

Am 15.03.2016 22:20, schrieb Andreas Reschke:
> Am 14.03.2016 um 16:29 schrieb Willem Ferguson:
>> On 14/03/2016 13:45, Andreas Reschke wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I've bought a new Dive computer. My dealer gives me a Scubapro ALADIN
>>> SPORT
>>> (http://www.scubapro.com/en-US/USA/instruments/computers/products/aladin-sport.aspx)
>>>

>>> Now I've ty to connect the MosChip Semiconductor MS7780 4Mbps Fast
>>> IRDA Adapter to my Fedora 23 Laptop.
>>>

>>> [root at hp635 ~]# lsusb
>>> Bus 003 Device 002: ID 9710:7780 MosChip Semiconductor MCS7780 4Mbps
>>> Fast IrDA Adapter
>>> [root at hp635 ~]#
>>> [root at hp635 ~]# modprobe ircomm
>>> [root at hp635 ~]# modprobe ircomm_tty
>>> [root at hp635 ~]# ls /dev/ircomm0
>>> /dev/ircomm0
>>> [root at hp635 ~]#
>>>
>>> I this the correct device?
>>>
>>> With the Subsurface-4.5.3-x86_64.AppImage I can't find my model. Is
>>> there a generic or  similar model?
>>>
>>> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
>>> Andreas Reschke
>> It is highly likely that the IrDA interface on the Aladin Sport is
>> similar to that of the Uwatec Galileo computers. In that case, read
>> the
>> section on using the Galileo in the Subsurface user manual. This
>> involved installing the IrDA tools from the Internet. The installation
>> is simple and works very efficiently for the Galileo. Please, would
>> you
>> let me know if this mechanism works for the Aladin so that we can
>> update
>> the user manual?
>> Kind regards,
>> willem

> Hello there,
>
> I've managed to connect this IRDA-Adapter to Windows 7 on a KVM-Host
> (CentOS 7 x86_64). With the Subsurface-Programm under Windows with
> Uwatec Galileo Luna I can read all my dive logs from the dive computer.
>
> While reading the dives the IRDA-Adapter shows a red light. With Fedora
> 23 there is no light. Tomorrow I will try compile the MCS7780 from
> source.
>

> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
> Andreas Reschke

After a few hours research at the internet, I found this page:
http://www.lustenberg.org/2014/12/irda-linux-and-a-working-mcs7780-chipset/

with this short Howto:

- install the irda-utils package for your distribution
- Upon inserting the device, this adapter will automatically be
recognized as ID 9710:7780 MosChip Semiconductor MCS7780 4Mbps Fast IrDA
Adapter and the mcs7780.ko driver loaded
- The user will likely have to manually load the IRCOMM driver as root
user, e.g. "modprobe ircomm-tty" *, which will automatically load
ircomm.ko as well. -- al: this automagicly loaded for me.
- Now, the irda0 pseudo device will be available, e.g. "iwconfig" will
list irda0, but "ifconfig" won't as the irda0 interface hasn't been
initialized.
- So as root, execute "ifconfig irda0 up" which initializes the irda0
interface [THIS is the magic command that makes it all work that seems
to be missing from a few guides --Alex.]
- Next as root, execute "irattach irda0 -s" (discovery)
- Next as root, execute "irdadump" in a terminal
- start the subsurface programm and "Import > from Dive Computer >
Manufactor Uwatec with Model Galileo Luna"

Now I have all my dives from the dive computer on my Laptop.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Andreas Reschke

Mail: andreas at rirasoft.de