what we learned from the iOS testers so far...

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Mar 25 08:47:34 PDT 2016

Just a quick update to the broader list...

In case you didn't see the announcements on our blog, you can now join the Subsurface-mobile test for iOS by simply sending me your email address. I finally managed to figure out how to use the Apple tools to create a iTunes compliant package and was able to set that up with Test Flight. So far I find Test Flight a better experience than the Google Play testing setup. Certainly the turnaround times are much faster. To be specific: the first review takes a while - apparently someone ACTUALLY TRIES THE APP - I could see a connection to the cloud server from Apple, using the test account that I provided them with; but after that they just appear to do some automated processing and so far subsequent builds have been available to testers in under 30 minutes.

More importantly, though, Qt 5.6.0 / qtlocation seems to have a number of issues on iOS:
- regardless of the available hardware on the device, it always reports that satellite positioning is available - but then on devices without GPS / GLANOSS it just times out when trying to acquire a fix
- it doesn't respect the reporting interval that you set (so you get a new fix every second or even faster)
- even if you request position updates while the app is not in the foreground, you don't get those at all.

With all that, obviously on iOS Subsurface-mobile currently is not fit as a replacement for the iOS Subsurface companion app :-(

I'll look at the Qt sources to see if I can spot any issues, but we may need help here from some Qt experts. I posted on the Qt "interest" list, but based on the traffic there, iOS is not a platform that a lot of people work on :-(