what we learned from the iOS testers so far...

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Fri Mar 25 09:11:27 PDT 2016

Hi,

my experience so far with the iOS version is twofold:

On my iPhone 6plus, where I installed the first version yesterday at the office, it works great (and now also the location does not save a fix every second). On my older iPhone 4s, I installed it only today. But now we are at the in-laws for the easter weekend, somewhere in the German countryside where the internet exists only in the 1Mbit/s variant. There I can start the app and it checks my credentials but then get stuck forever in downloading my divelist (I have no idea why it takes so long).

I should also mention that in order to compile the iOS version myself I upgraded my Qt from 5.5 to 5.6 (took several hours) and now I am in the situation that I cannot build at all (needs some more care to fix some paths).

> On 25.03.2016, at 16:47, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>
> More importantly, though, Qt 5.6.0 / qtlocation seems to have a number of issues on iOS:
> - regardless of the available hardware on the device, it always reports that satellite positioning is available - but then on devices without GPS / GLANOSS it just times out when trying to acquire a fix
> - it doesn't respect the reporting interval that you set (so you get a new fix every second or even faster)
> - even if you request position updates while the app is not in the foreground, you don't get those at all.
>
> With all that, obviously on iOS Subsurface-mobile currently is not fit as a replacement for the iOS Subsurface companion app :-(
>
> I'll look at the Qt sources to see if I can spot any issues, but we may need help here from some Qt experts. I posted on the Qt "interest" list, but based on the traffic there, iOS is not a platform that a lot of people work on :-(

I only now that there was a policy change recently regarding obtaining locations while in the background: Off the shelf, apps don’t get the permission but the user has to agree to it by clicking ok in some modal dialog.

Best
Robert