Subsurface-mobile testing update

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Wed Mar 30 03:04:15 PDT 2016

On Dienstag, 29. März 2016 22:29:07 CEST Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> While the two new builds are crawling through the painfully slow upload /
> processing, err, process, here's a quick heads up on -1136(Android) and
> -1138(iOS - don't ask).
>
> Linus suggested an intersting change that I had briefly considered before
> and rejected as too hard to do - but then it turned out to be surprisingly
> straight forward, yet against challenged by performance issues. The dive
> list now folds dive trips. When first opened all dive trips are closed.
> When you tap on one, the dive trip opens and the dives inside the trip are
> shown. Tap the trip again and it closes (or tap another trip and the first
> one closes and the second one opens... at any time there is only one trip
> that is open). Tap on a dive in the trip and you go to that dive as
> before.
>
> Please play with this. I was able to find several small issues that I
> believe fall into two categories:
> a) performance - on slower devices this seems a bit painful
> b) odd visual issues - this seems to 10x increase the likelihood of
> running into the QML/Kirigami issue that previously we only sometimes saw
> at the bottom end of the dive list. Sudden jumpiness in the scroll
> position, parts or all of the screen suddenly go blank, overall near
> unusable behavior. But not alway, not with every dive list I tried...
> I really need to beg for help from Marco and Sebastian on this one.
>
> If you have any idea how to fix either of those issues or if you find
> anything else that's broken, please let us know!

Hi Dirk,
expandable lists are a pattern which is planned for Kirigami, anyway (see
[1]), we just haven't gotten around to implement it yet. I'd suggest getting
in contact with Marco so that you can maybe collaborate on a performance-
optimized and generalizable component.
He is currently not fully available, though, so don't be surprised if it takes
a while for him to reply.

Cheers,
Thomas

[1] https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/Patterns/
NavigationPatterns#Patterns_for_phone_user_interfaces