subsurface mobile 1.0.4 feedback

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Mar 30 05:17:32 PDT 2016

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 10:06:07AM +0200, Rainer Mohr wrote:

> First of all, let me say that I am quite impressed with the iOS version. It
> looks good, works well and is a pleasure to play with! Congratulations to
> the developers.

Ah, the affirmation sandwich... Say some nice, then the devastating
criticism, then end on a nice note. Well done, Rainer :-)

> The trip folding in 1.0.4 however broke the dive list for me. I have it on
> an iPhone 6 plus and scrolling is a desaster since this version. It's not
> responding well at all, jumps around and is no longer fluid in any way
> (1.0.3 was fine). As soon as I come to the bottom of the list and try to
> flick back up, it results in a white screen and as soon as I try to scroll
> up again, it jumps back down to the end plus leaving the bottom half of the
> screen white. Havent found a way to get back up to the top of the list
> (pushing the list up ultra slow is the only solution).
>
> Dives in the list: 750

Yes, that's what I mentioned in my notes to testers. There's something odd
going on, I think I'll revert this for the next build and work with Marco
on a better implementation. On my iPhone 6+ this works well as long as I
don't scoll to the very bottom of the list. I'm surprised it's so bad on
your iPhone 6 (I thought they had the same CPU).

> And a few feature requests (I'm sure you already have a long list, so feel
> free to ignore):
>
> - A tap on the very top bar of the screen (where the carrier, time and
> batterystatus are displayed) should scroll the list to the very top. This is
> very common in iOS apps and works almost everywhere

I wonder how I'd get that tap information, most likely it's just the top
of our screen that receives the tap (beacuse the carrier/time area is not
part of the app). But that's a great idea. Would you please file a trac
enhancement ticket for this?

> - A navigation help in the list (like the letters in the phone app) on the
> right hand side. Display steps of 100s or 50s (instead of letters) so i can
> jump to specific "areas" of my list. Scrolling 750 dives does take a while

That would be great for people with 100s of dives that are not organized
in trips, so I guess the local divers. I have no idea how to do that,
though. Still, file a trac ticket and let's see if the Kirigami folks have
an idea.

> - Grouping feature: I'd like to group my dive list by several things (month
> / year combination, dive sites, countries, trips, etc) and have a count of
> that grouping. Similar to the trip grouping now, but configurable. My
> typical situation where I like to use the app most: I'm on a liveaboard and
> we reached a specific dive spot, where I've been before. I like to group the
> list by by dive spot, go to the site where we're about to get wet and flick
> through the past dives at this spot to see what i encountered there before
> and what to keep in mind. This has also prevented me a few time from signing
> up for a dive which was crap the last time i was there :-)

Hmm. That seems like a very complex feature with extremely small user
base. And a configuration nightmare. Right now I think I'll call "feature
creep" on that one. You can do this on the desktop app but I'm not sure
I'm ready to invest the time and effort to get this to work on the mobile.

> - Filter / search the list for dive spots / countries / locations. A good
> place would be to push down the list when at the top to reveal a search box

In a way this is the same as the previous request (at least they sound the
same to me). Same answer. Feel free to file trac requests so once we are
done with the things that urgently need to be implemented we can come back
to this, but for now I don't think that's something I'll be spending time
on.

> - use more of the profile graphs area for the profile if the dive was
> shallow. See screenshot, a lot of screen real estate is wasted.

This is intentional. If you flip through a lot of profiles, it is obvious
that this is a shallow dive. I actually strongly dislike it when each dive
profile takes up the same vertical space because then you always need to
look at the scale to figure out how deep a dive was. Here for most typical
dives of a recreational diver the vertical scale is the same and you see
at a glance if this was a deep or a shallow dive. And blowing up the
shallow dive doesn't really give you all that much more information - it
just exagerates small vertical movements in your diving.

> Good job, looking forward to new versions!

See, affirmation sandwich. I knew it :-)