iOS UI-Ideas

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Mar 31 11:32:21 PDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 05:33:06PM +0200, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 31. März 2016 16:02:52 CEST Jürgen Frank wrote:
> > Dive-List view:	swiping left on a dive to get the usual delete-button at the
> > right
>
> This behavior is already implemented in Kirigami (though with a handle on the
> right which has to be swiped to the left), so Subsurface-mobile could use
> that.

We use that on the GPS point list. And (with all due respect), I find it
both visually and functionality wise inferior to the experience both
Android and iOS provide in their toolkit. The handle on the side is ugly
and confusing (it almost looks like the hamburger menu). And it's "swipe
to show the actions, then tap on the actions" instead of "swipe to trigger
the action". I'd much rather have "swipe to the left" deletes and "swipe
to the right" does some other action (in the GPS list case that would get
you the GPS location on a map.

That's something that people on both iOS and Android are familiar with.

> > swiping right: special funktions (tbd)
>
> I'm not sure if we need both swipe directions. If we need more quick-access
> features, we can reveal them together with the delete option.

See above. We have the two actions in one. I think it isn't as good and as
easy to use as what Jürgen suggests.

> > 			single-tap on dive: open details
> > 			(swiping does nothing at the moment, not implemented)
> > Dive View:	swiping to go to next/previous dive
> > 			buttons at the bottom of the screen (half left, half right) to got
> > next/previous dive (alternative)
>
> Having buttons in addition to swiping sounds like needlessly cluttering the UI
> to me. Swiping to go through elements of a list is a very common pattern which
> people should be used to, anyway.

I agree, having the buttons to double the swiping is redundant and clutter.

Swipe to go to next/previous dive
Center button: edit
Button to the right of it, delete
Button in the right corner, go back

> > single button at the bottom to go to list
> > (at the moment you have to open left drawer an select dice list (which is
> > to clicks)
>
> We have the "pinch to zoom out" idea from Robert which may work. It seems like
> we won't get around offering a back button, after all, though...

Sorry, spent the last five hours on a dive boat (actually, not sorry at
all). No pinch zoom back thingy, please. Really, just have a button on iOS
to go back, and don't have it on Android because Android already has a
back button, so we don't need to duplicate that feature.