Subsurface-mobile port to Kirigami 1.0

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Mar 31 21:05:04 PDT 2016

Marco, Thomas,

I merged the port to Kirigamit 1.0 on top of latest master, but I'm
hesitant to push out test binaries for iOS or Android as this brings a lot
of regressions right now. I'm not quite sure how to handle this given that
I'm on an island with rotten internet connection and you guys are rather
busy with other things...

For now I have pushed things into the mergeKirigamiPort branch of
git://subsurface-divelog.org/subsurface

I also made an Android apk available at

http://subsurface-divelog.org/downloads/daily/Subsurface-mobile-4.5.2.1148-arm.apk

but I have NOT pushed this to Google Play (nor do I have an iOS version
for people to play with right now).

Here's my quick feedback with some of my concerns:

- dynamic title bar... cute, but too extreme - this needs to be
  configurable from the application; right now it seems that the three
  factors (0, 1.6, 3) are hard coded in the Kirigami sources (or I'm
  misunderstanding how this works)
- bread crumbs... certainly useful for many other applications, for us I'm
  not so sure. I think I'd prefer what we had before in that tapping on
  the title bar gets you to the top of the dive list. Of course you could
  allow the application to intercept the tap on the title bar and have it
  decide whether it wants to accept the event or not - that would be the
  best of both worlds, I guess
- scrolling and flicking of pages... oh my.
  -- I sometimes get a huge empty space at the top of the dive list, not
     sure how to describe this, it's like a massive margin or something -
     I think this happens if I pull the list down; something similar
     happens with some other pages like the About page or developer log;
     pull down, you suddenly have the top third of the page as empty
     margin
  -- I still get the confused list at the bottom of the dive list with
     white areas and scrolling going all crazy on you
  -- The weirdest one is that I can flick away some pages. So for example
     I go to add dive or edit a dive. Then the add/edit dive page is like
     an overlay on top of the other pages. And I can literally flick it
     away. Subsurface-mobile still things it is in editing stage and
     things get royally confused. This bug I think is the biggest reason
     why I'm not pushing this to our unsuspecting testers.

This needs a lot more testing but it's late (yeah, only 11, but I have to
go diving tomorrow... oh how I suffer). So please take a look at the APK
or build from sources...

Not sure what the best path forward is. Any chance that you have some time
to address these concerns, either in Kirigami or (where necessary) in
Subsurface?

Thanks

/D

PS: as usual... while this may sound very critical, please don't take it
this way. I enjoy the cooperation between the teams and my focus is to
make both Kirigami and Subsurface better in the process.