Subsurface-mobile, next round - Android 4.3

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Apr 15 08:16:17 PDT 2017

> On Apr 15, 2017, at 5:19 AM, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
>
> Subsurface-mobile 6.4.3.243 on a Samsung S3 running Android 4.3
>
> Testing the various parts of the programme gave a result identical in all ways to the test I did using Android 6.01, except for the few notes below. This should be a big relief.
>
> 1) As with Android 6.01, problems were a) Cylinder change icon size, b) off-centre list of GPS fixes, c) GPS uploads that hang, d) deleting dive from dive details view.
>
> 2) When accessing the user manual or the dive site map and upon termination of these services (i.e. when the user manual is closed or Google Maps is closed) subsurface-mobile restarts, opening the dive list. In Android 6.01 I did not see that, or it happened to quickly to be visible on the screen. I suspect this is not a problem, just a reflection of the slow CPU.

It's more likely that your phone ran out of memory and killed Subsurface (which is pretty BIG). You might be able to see what's happening with

adb logcat

on a computer that is connected to that phone in USB debug mode.

> 3) When accessing the dive location on from the list of fixes, Google Maps mostly closes without starting Subsurface-mobile again.

My guess is this is the same problem

I did try to reproduce it with my Galaxy S3 running 4.4 - but there this seems to work. Some googling shows that there appear to be three versions. The I9300 Galaxy SIII which apparently has 1GB of RAM, the I9301I Neo with 1.5GB of RAM and the US/international version, which has 2GB or RAM. I have the latter. Maybe that's why this works for me but doesn't work for you?

> There are a number of small improvements that I will bring up later, but these are not relevant now, except for one:
>
> It should be pretty simple to install the user manual on the phone itself and access the manual located on the phone without having to load it through the Internet. For software that makes explicit provision for use of the software at dive sites where there is no Internet, it just makes sense to have the user manual on-board.

This is a good idea. I have no idea how to do this right now (how do I bundle that file with the package? how do I point the browser to it) :-(