Summer work on the planner

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Wed Aug 30 10:45:39 PDT 2017

> On 30. Aug 2017, at 10:18, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> wrote:
>
> Robert,
>
> What is still missing:
> A ui element to turn this expensive calculation off.
>
> This is easy to add, wouldn't take me much time.

Yes, that is something even I can do, just haven’t had time so far.

> Finally, thanks to signals/slots flying in all directions, I do not understand when exactly the planner is called. I am under the impression it is called three times upon each change of a dive parameter in the UI. By understanding this, there is a possible 200% performance gain in sight.
>
> I need to look into this, can you tell me the entry point so I can debug?

Just place a breakpoint on the beginning of plan() in planner.c. Besides my new code and the tests this gets called in two places (and even there it is not obvious why those two places are necessary). Then enter the planner and move a waypoint around. For example using the cursor keys (as then you have control over how often you change things) and see how often the breakpoint gets hit.

Best
Robert