Translations

Martin Měřinský mermar at centrum.cz
Tue Feb 14 02:47:09 PST 2017

Hello,
I have several translation questions/proposals.

Why are there so many same strings?
Eg. I found six <source>Weight</source>
Or identical:
<source>The following error occurred:</source>
<source>The following error occurred:</source>
<source>Choose file for divecomputer download logfile</source>
<source>Choose file for divecomputer download logfile</source>
Etc.

Would it be possible, to add ':' outside translated string? Or omit it?
There are many strings like:
Depth
Depth:

Please, omit LF charachters in strings whenever possible.

There are many _almost_ identical strings, eg.:
The archive could not be opened:⏎
The archive could not be opened:⏎%1
User survey
Subsurface user survey

If you need new string, please search existing strings first (use as
least strings as possible). Eg. difference between
"Upload finished" and "Upload successful" is minimal.

Vendor name :
Remove space before colon.

Show mean depth in Profile
Why capital letter P?

Inconsistencies in source strings:
----------------------------------
Send the dive data to divelogs.de website. (Ends with dot.)
Send the dive data to dive-share.appspot.com website (No dot at the
end.)

Temp
Temp.
Max. depth
max depth
Please, either use with dot or don't.

Dive Details
Dive details
Different letter case.

Dive Master
Divemaster

maxdepth
max depth

divecomputer
dive computer

cuft
cu ft

divetime
dive time

divemode
dive mode

divelog
dive log

Air Temp.
Air temp.
Air temp.:
Air Temp:

Cyl.
Cyl
Cylinder

Start Pressure
Start pressure
Start press.

SAC: %.*f%s/min
SAC:%.*f %s

ean
EAN

unkn
unknown

facebook
Facebook

setpoint
set-point

Heart rate
heart rate
heartbeat

Dive No.
Dive #

Always show ppO2
Shoudn't be pO₂?

SankTime
Shoudn't be Sank Time?

salt water
fresh (no water)

What is your workflow, as translators? How do you test your changes
after translating text in Transifex? Is there any way to export .ts
file?

How do you deal with keyboard shortcuts (&)? How do you test that they
are unique? Is there way to use shortcut with letter other than any in
the translated text?

I'm newbie in translating, so sorry if these questions are stupid :-)
I'm just trying to find out, if there is way to make translating easier
(and also UI prettier in English).

Have a nice day, Martin M.