Subsurface 4.7 / 5.0

Anton Lundin glance at acc.umu.se
Sat Jan 21 11:05:45 PST 2017

On 21 January, 2017 - Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:

> On 21 January 2017 at 20:44, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > hello,

> >> I'm still tempted to revive the branch where I bult subsurface-core as a
> >> library with jni wrappers and build a UI in Android native java.
> >>
> >> There are enough competence and tutorials out there so almost anyone can
> >> hack on a Android java app, and the "core" parts of subsurface, we
> >> already know.
> >>

> > i haven't followed the mobile app much (+all the troubles surrounding
> > it) expect that i filed a report of one nasty QML GridLayout bug at
> > the Qt bugtracker at one point; it was a pretty bad showstopper. i've
> > also found some more bugs in QML elements later. maybe QML and the
> > frameworks for it are still not ready...but hmm, it has been at least
> > 3 years since QML started advertising itself for mobile, so not sure
> > what's going on that front. maybe Kirigami was bad choice here...
> >
> > other than that, i can help as much as time permits with the native
> > Android UI as i've been doing exactly that the past couple of years.
> > that native Android also has it's perks here and there, but it's quite
> > good and easy to get into...of course, so as many probably know
> > already - not a single UI toolkit is optimal.
> >
> > and i guess a native Android UI, would mean that a native iOS UI has
> > to be written.
> >

> above typos aside, i would like to quickly point out something about
> multiplatform mobile development and the horror story it is.
>
> after many trials with my employer, trying pretty much everything from
> A to Z which is available out there, free or payware to be able to
> target both iOS and Android at the same time with a single UI toolkit,
> in a sane matter, good programming language, without bugs etc, i've
> come to the conclusion that - multiplaform mobile development is
> (still) a myth.
>
> Xamarin, Adobe AIR, Qt + QML, Codename1, JS toolkits etc...all of them
> are either buggy, awkward to use or have major limitations.
> so for me ATM, the only sane way to approach mobile development is to
> develop native UI.

I've bin playing with https://home-assistant.io/ a bit, and they are
using a modern web-app as their frontend. It works okay-ish on mobile,
and thats good enough for those needs, so I'd say for more limited
applications, html5 / service-worker / manifest.json is a viable
cross-platform option, but if you'd like butter smooth and great, native
is the way to go still.

//Anton - somewhat off topic but anyhow...

--
Anton Lundin	+46702-161604