New Subsurface-mobile Beta for Android [was: Re: Subsurface 4.7 / 5.0]

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 17:18:11 PST 2017

On 22 January 2017 at 10:58, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 21, 2017 at 02:21:43PM -0800, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> >
> > Here's my plan for right now. Fix things so we go back to Kirigami 1.
> > See if I can build a working Android APK. Once I have that, check where
> > we are with an iOS package.
>
> A new Android APK has been pushed to BETA on Google Play and is also
> available in downloads/daily.
>
> Based on Kirigami 1.1 and actually functional, from what I can tell after
> rather limited amounts of testing.
>
> Thanks for all your effort.  I have installed the daily apk on my Galaxy
S6.  I haven't had a chance to test seriously, but it does open, display
dives, sync with cloud, etc.

I don't think we should abandon the idea of Kirigami 2, but unless there's
a good reason to do otherwise, how about focus for now on keeping
Subsurface-mobile working as-is?  If/when Kirigami 2 (or maybe something
else becomes obviously a better choice) offers must-have features or
bugfixes, and appears stable, or Subsurface shifts to Qt 5.15 which no
longer is compatible with Kirigami 1.1, the effort could shift to porting
to that.  Or maybe a better mobile option becomes apparent.

The greatest feature I can see missing from the mobile version is
downloading from a dive computer.  I don't know m/any people with a Android
or iPhone cable that connects to a dive computer, so Bluetooth / BLE
support would be awesome here.  I suspect this support is all back-end, and
has very little to do with what version of Kirigami is adopted.

Cheers,

Rick