Quirks of the Subsurface dive planner

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Mon Jan 30 01:09:59 PST 2017

On 30/01/2017 10:28, Robert Helling wrote:

> I will have to look into this with more time. Please keep nudging me
> until this is resolved. Besides the screen shot, it would make
> analyzing this a lot easier if you could include an xml with the dives
> as well.

Attached.

> This is (at least semi-) intentional. You get the behavior you want by
> right clicking on the waypoint in the profile and inserting a gas
> change. I always thought this is the expected behavior: In the table
> you change a single leg of the dive, as this is what a row corresponds
> to, in the profile you insert a gas change that stays valid until the
> next explicit gas change. One might think about allowing several rows
> of the table to be selected simultaneously and then editing one
> affecting all selected. Let’s see if we can do that.

That would be fantastic

> I second Rick’s answer here. What would be the expected behavior: The
> same as double click in the profile (i.e. subdivide the previous leg)
> or actually insert a leg (i.e. shift all the following segments to a
> later time)?

Yes, that would work. In the profile, a double click can either create a
new point or it can just move the double-clicked point (maybe it erases
the current double-clicked point and inserts another?? So, the action is
not always as expected. My feeling is that the Dive points table should
be the final reference of the dive plan. This is because the profile
display can hide a huge amount of unseen and unholy stuff about the
details of the dive plan.

> The gas changes should not be screwed. As I said before: There is (at
> least currently) no way in our file format to record the distinction
> between manually entered points and computed points. Whenever we go
> through a file on disk, the whole profile is considered manually
> entered. That is a problem of the file format.

The current format allows for identifying a dive plan by looking at the
<divecomputer model> tag. Would it be feasible to define an event that
contains the last "hard-coded" dive point? Something like "<event
time='14:01 min' type='xx'> where 'xx' is a unique integer indicating a
planner datum? Then, when viewed from the dive list, the full plan is
shown both in the profile and in the notes tab (i.e. either ignore the
event or even indicate that on the existing profile). When opened in the
planner, it recognised the integer 'xx' and omits any points after this
time and recalculates the ascent profile? Listen I am totally naïve
about these XML issues so please excuse me if I am suggesting something
totally unrealistic.

> Thanks again
> Robert
>
> -