Android beta... - FTDI download

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Jul 9 14:30:28 PDT 2017

> On Jul 9, 2017, at 2:02 PM, Dietrich Meyer <dietrich at sunnynames.com> wrote:
>
>> I think the SELinux changes that prevent libusb access came as part
>> of Android 7 - but they weren't adopted by some of the non-Google
>> Android makers. Cyanogen works. Samsung and Google phones
>> running Android 7 don't appear to work. But that's all anecdotal at
>> this point.
>
> A tiny bit more anecdotal information, from a quiet, non-coding, time-limited
> reader of your mailing list (and happy user of subsurface and subsurface-
> mobile).

It's lovely to hear from our quiet, non-coding users! Seriously, we love hearing
from the people who simply use the software.

> Tried  to download from Suunto Vyper2 via third-party FTDI Suunto-USB cable
> and USB-OTG cable connected to Samsung Galaxy S5 with LineageOS 14.1 (Android
> 7.1.1). I used subsurface - version 2.0(4.6.4.363).
>
> Don't have any new dives, so I just deleted the last dive in subsurface-
> mobile, and am trying to re-download it from the DC.
>
> I open the download dialog, choose Suunto Vyper2 and hit the "Download"
> button.

So when you plugged in the FTDI cable, did you get an Android dialog asking you
if you wanted to connect the USB device to Subsurface-mobile? Without that, there's
no chance that this could ever work.

> Something then changes on the display, see attached screenshot, but it seems
> to not properly download a dive. Looks like a empty new dive without Depth nor
> Duration information. I can select the checkbox next to "Depth/Duration", and
> accept, but don't get any new dive in the divelist.

I thought I had fixed this empty dive display. Clearly I haven't. That's just massively
misleading. The next beta build will have that addressed and will also try to give more
interesting feedback during the download. That was also on my todo list and I somehow
forgot to do it. Grumble.

> Is there a way how I can collect more information that might help you finding
> the bug? Or is this the same problem you encountered on other android devices?

So under Develper->AppLog you will see a lot more info, but currently that doesn't
allow cut'n paste, so it's really hard to send this in, except with screen shots.
Also something that I need to address...

But I didn't want to keep delaying the beta, either. What we really need is more
people working on the code. But I have mentioned that a few hundred times
already, haven't I?