the marble (map) replacement dilemma

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 10:48:56 PDT 2017

On 11 July 2017 at 19:50, Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> So good satellite information is really important for these things. More so than the offline cacheability, which is just "a good thing to have because internet often sucks in those places".

here is a comparison between ESRI (from my test app) and google maps:
http://i.imgur.com/9iYjlqD.jpg

location is one of the northmost islands of Palau:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/8%C2%B005'37.0%22N+134%C2%B043'06.9%22E/@8.09361,134.716955,726m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d8.09361!4d134.718572

google seem to support at least one more zoom level and an overall
cleaner picture.
but the ESRI implementation inside QtLocation supports offline mode.
i've checked and i don't think QtLocation supports google map tiles as sources.

so Marble seems to have the best of both worlds for now - google tiles
and offline support.

lubomir