the marble (map) replacement dilemma

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 14:37:08 PDT 2017

On 12 July 2017 at 00:28, Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 2:21 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Qt Location does not support street view, so i guess that if we decide
>>> to go with the Qt Location solution we need to enable opening street
>>> view inside a new browser window, which runs google maps and requires
>>> internet access - e.g. when clicked a marker on the Qt Location map we
>>> can show a button "street view for this location".
>>
>> actually the above is not that easy to do, because google's street
>> view will first of all need to have ground imagery for a location.
>
> Don't worry too much about streetview per se.
>
> What I really think we should support is just a way to "escape" from
> the regular map window, regardless of what embedded map we are using.
>
> Right now it's a bit painful to extract GPS coordinates from our data
> - I actually just end up always doing a "git grep" over the git
> repository instead if I need it.
>
> So what would be lovely is just *any* fairly standard way to get the
> data from the currently selected dive points. Not so much for
> something very specific like streetview, but just in general.
>
> Then, if you can feed it into an external source, that external source
> might be just a regular google maps browser window, and then you can
> pick the streetview thing on your own if that is what you want.
>
> But sometimes you might want to instead of a "search around here for
> good restaurants" or whatever.
>
> So the point is not streetview per se, as much as the generic issue of
> "I have one or more dive sites, I want to just interact with something
> else than purely an embedded map in the app".

i see,

for both solutions we can add a context menu inside the mapview with
extra functionality, such as:
- copy location to clipboard (sexagesimal / decimal)
- open location in external source
- stats for visible markers
- etc

in terms of complexity, the context menu would be harder for me to do
over google maps (HTML / JavaScript), while the Qt Location (QML) one
should be trivial.

lubomir