Feedback on APK 487 UI

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Jul 23 18:20:08 PDT 2017

> On Jul 23, 2017, at 10:40 AM, Davide DB <dbdavide at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> there are different threads on the current mobile UI state.
> I'll summarize here my feedback on APK 487
>
> #1 First of all after the work of Joakim the app it's in another league.

Completely agree

> #2 Maybe it was always there and I'm realizing it right now but the navigation via left/right slide is ugly and breaks our menu organization. It's something like the nightmare og the browser back button for web based apps. Paying with the app in two minutes I was able to create this:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPO2UXpdIyw <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPO2UXpdIyw>

I can see two problems with what that video shows:
a) we allow for multiple settings pages - that's not useful; I'll see what we can do about that
b) if a dive has no location, we leave the title for it empty

> #3 The title bar still acts as a breadcrumb. Besides the video above, its' easy to get this situation:
>

> Even if we like a breadcrumb there, most of the times its' not updated.

That's because your test dives have no location. Otherwise it should show up there. I'll try to put a default text there. I thought we had that, actually...

> Please note that I get the panel slightly shifted to the right.

That's something that I also see from time to time and that puzzles me. It's got to be a Kirigami bug. We'll need to talk to Marco about that.

> I proposed to write on title bar only the leaf of our navigation tree: https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/issues/493 <https://github.com/Subsurface-divelog/subsurface/issues/493>
>
> #4 You are right to move the locator service to th GPS menu. Sorry not everything is clear while working on paper. I see that it's not possible to change the color of the GPS icon based on status. I know that GPS drains some battery but on my Andorid phones I get a system icon when the GPS is active and it works with Subsurface too:

As I said before - I think this easily gets missed. I'd really like a strong indication in the app somehow.

> #5 Dive list item info. Blue theme. When a dive item is selected we should color the second row white or very light grey. Right now we left the same gray color but once highlighted it has no contrast. I remember that Dirk made this modification at some point. Maybe it was lost working on the theme.
>

> Same apply to the amazing pink theme.

Those two should be easy to fix. I'll see if I can figure it out :-)