[Mobile UI] Blue palette

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Jun 24 20:03:21 PDT 2017

> On Jun 24, 2017, at 4:14 PM, Davide DB <dbdavide at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> From what I read those weird definitions are just an invention of that palette generator. We have only a primary and an optional secondary color and their light and dark variations.
>
> I found this reply very informative:
>
> https://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/89815/choosing-colors-in-material-design <https://ux.stackexchange.com/questions/89815/choosing-colors-in-material-design>
>

> Basically text is always black #000000 and you define opacity based on background. There are fixed values for that.
> Here Google explains the trick on text
>
> https://material.io/guidelines/style/color.html#color-usability <https://material.io/guidelines/style/color.html#color-usability>
> Dark text on light backgrounds
>
> The level of opacity used for text depends on whether your background is dark or light. For dark text on light backgrounds, apply the following opacity levels:
>
> The most important text has an opacity of 87%.
> Secondary text, which is lower in the visual hierarchy, has an opacity of 54%.
> Text hints (such as text fields and labels) and disabled text have even lower visual prominence with an opacity of 38%.

So that's not how we do it today - I'm actually happy with our approach to secondary color (I just need to fix it for the dark theme).
Unless you feel very strongly about this, I'd keep that as is for Blue and Pink

> Now, on our UI I see we no longer have distinction with the phone status bar as before. Everything is of primary color while before we correctly have it dark primary color.

I noticed that as I verified the colors. I bet this is just me confusing myself with my clever names again. I'll figure it out and get that back.

> I didn't noticed you changed also format of the dive name into the detail page. Amazing. It has a small button [map it] too.

Yup.

> Is there any way to take advantage of the full screen width during the dive edit?

That's the cool overlay page... I like it. You don't? Sure, we can change anything.

> If it could be useful, next week I will play a bit with sidebar organization and settings adding other idea on github.

So far I think your work has been extremely useful. I often don't know how to implement things, but I'll be happy to try

Thanks