WIP - Tabbs rework

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Mar 13 10:19:15 PDT 2017

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 02:19:14PM +0100, Tomaz Canabrava wrote:

> The current code holds 6 tabs with all of the logic for saving / updating
> restoring a dive, a trip, an dive plan, copy/pasting, etc. all this in one
> file.

Yep.

> This series tries to rework a few things:
> - Each tab has it's own header / source, so it's easier to make sure we are
> actually changing what we wanna change

I know (and agree) that there are reasons to prefer shorter source files

> - Less interconectivity with the MainWindow and other widgets, trying to
> keep the state more sane.

That's good. I need to spend more time reading the code to make sure I
understand the final outcome and what changes here.

> - Smaller ui files, because a single ui file is massive and sometimes we
> need to choose strange names on the widges to not have clashes.

ok - designer keeps crashing for me on Arch... I need to look at these as
well.

> - a better, overall, code sanity.

The file system layout looks good. It will break a lot of my "muscle
memory" as to where to find what when trying to fix bugs / edit code, but
it seems like it may be worth it.

> > The series doesn't apply cleanly for me because my tooling tries to fix
> > some of the obvious white space garbage as it applies things, and then of
> > course patches that contain the white space garbage no longer apply.
> >
> > It would make my life so much easier if you just used Qt Creator with the
> > same settings as the rest of us, but I guess that ship has sailed and I
> > just should stop even asking for that. Which means it might be easier if
> > you just point me to the branch on github that I can pull from (because
> > then my tooling won't mess things up).
>
> Sorry - I have a lot of different projects here (work, kde, subsurface),
> and all them uses a different code style.
> The better approach should be QtCreator / KDevelop, whatever, to have
> different styles per project, but currently it's a no-go.
> I'll squash them and use clang-format to have a sane code that you can
> apply.

Our whitespace.pl unfortunately doesn't always get it right, either. It's
one of those things that I wish had a better solution - but have no time
to work on said better solution.

> > Anyway, after I applied the 42 patches things compile and I get a mostly
> > working UI - but again, I'm not sure what I should be looking at, what I
> > should be working on.
>
> I'm not changing the code from master, mostly I'm trying to reason with the
> master code and split it into the different files that I created, so in
> theory things should still work.
> but there are tons of TODOs that I added to the code.

So two of the tabs don't appear to be hooked up right now. So it's more
than just moving things around.

> If you could take a look at the tab-widget/ folder I created and reason if
> the changes I'm doing are good, that would be awesome already.

Yes, I'm happy with that.

> what I need is a "looks fine, continue" - because in my current timeframe I
> don't wanna work in something that you think it's unecessary.

I would have argued that there are things that are more important to our
users, but I think what you are doing there is valuable, so let's finish
it, get it into master and then maybe work on things that have more direct
benefit to our users.